Movie CD (CD-Rom)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Larry P, Feb 19, 2002.

1. Larry P

Larry P Stunt Coordinator

I was wondering if anyone remembers or bought these Movie CD's that played on your CD-Rom that were out in the mid 90's. Were they the same thing as VCD's? They aren't supposed to play on your DVD player like VCD's do but can be played on your DVD-Rom.

How many titles were released? I remember seeing them in the stores at the time, and there's a few on Ebay.

Just would like to here your thoughts on this forgotten niche format.

thanks

2. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

You mean these:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    They only work on PCs not Macs because they were not encoded in MPEG format. Instead these titles were encoded in AVI(Windows video format) but with some tweaks to the video encoding scheme. The feature length films were altered to full-screen presentations if necessary and seem to use the same transfers as the VHS tapes. They were also presented in stereo or mono only.
    I still own Se7en, Reefer Madness, and Poison Ivy.
    Check out www.moviecd.com if you want to try a couple.

3. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

And just to add something else...

These discs are finicky suckers. They do not work in every CD-ROM or DVD-ROM.

They also are spread across two CDs like Video CDs. But trust me, you are better off with Video CD if you want a video format on CD. I kept my three films for sentimental and educational reasons.

I had four films but one refused to load on any of my PCs so both discs had an "accident."

4. John P Grosskopf

John P Grosskopf Second Unit

5. Cynthia

Cynthia Stunt Coordinator

I have a Kids in the Hall Movie CD that I got off eBay a while back. It says it has four episodes on it, but I wouldn't know because I still can't get it to play on my CD-ROM. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Oh well, I'm keeping it anyway. At least until I get some Kids in the Hall DVDs. [​IMG]

6. Sam Graves

Sam Graves Stunt Coordinator

I saw this one:
    [​IMG]
    at a Circuit City over the Christmas holidays. I wonder if anyone will ever buy it?

7. Jesse Leonard

Jesse Leonard Second Unit

I remember those! I have the Dumb and Dumber one. Thank god DVD came around and saved us from those things [​IMG]