What's new

Movie audiences....Getting worse?? (1 Viewer)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

I'm not sure how his being fat is relevant to your point. If he didn't smoke or smell, would you still have wanted him thrown out just because he was fat?

Carlos Mendoza

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not sure how his being fat is relevant to your point
Why didn't you get on to Bill for using the word "GUY" as well? I'm sure you would prefer he use "person" instead, right? Adjectives sometimes help to paint pictures. Nothing sinister about it.

"I'm not sure how his being MALE is relevant to your point. If he didn't smoke or smell, would you still have wanted him thrown out just because he was MALE?"

This PC business has gone too far.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

PC has nothing to do with it. Its just basic politeness. People's physical features should not be used as cannon fodder for insults (at least outside a grade school playground).

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Can we get back to the discussion of the boorish behavior of the vocal minority inside of movie theaters? Thanks.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
Good call, Patrick.

Sorry if anyone's toes got stepped on, but the facts are the facts, and no amount of PC can do anything about that.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Whatever. There are always facts that are irrelevant to any particular situation. This was one of them.

Movie audiences are getting worse and worse because of a basic lack of respect for fellow human beings. Period. It's all about "me, me, me." People do whatever the hell they want and expect others to just put up with it. If you try and point out their inconsiderate ways, you simply become their target.

So, do you say something and likely end up in a confrontation (verbal or otherwise)? Or do you say nothing and let them get away with their boorishness? Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Christopher P

Supporting Actor
I had a boss that would always remind us "Silence is acceptance." I guess that can apply to behavior in movie theaters as well.

On a side note, when I watch a movie at home, I close the blinds and turn the lights off, and my roommate can never figure out why it's so dark. He turns the lights on in the kitchen to make dinner, get a snack, whatever, then leaves them room without turning them off. I have to ask him if the theater has lights on when he goes to see a movie.

Chris

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
To anyone who found offense with my identifying the origin of the couple behind me, I apologize, it was not intended as a racist remark.

If you have any trouble with anything I post over such an issue in the future, please feel free to contact me privately and I will be happy to discuss it with you.

JasonRH

Second Unit
I've been very lucky in not being spoiled by inconsiderate morons for the most part. The odd thing about any bad experiences I've had is that whenever it has occured, it has almost always been adults who are the culprits. I always dread seeing teens entering the same movie I'm going to see but they rarely cause distractions even though I always epect them to (knock on wood). It's talkative adults that I usually encounter.

Malcolm R made a good point about it being hard to decide just what you should do about these people. It seems most peoples' nature is to become worse when confronted and not better. It's tough to decide if confronting them is even worth it, considering that they are unlikely to listen to reason if they are rude enough to be disruptive in the first place.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
It's tough to decide if confronting them is even worth it, considering that they are unlikely to listen to reason if they are rude enough to be disruptive in the first place.
Good point. Rude people are never offended when you point out their rudeness, they just get worse. :frowning:

And even if you alert an usher (as Bill Williams mentioned), they'll shut up for the time being...giving you the "I'm not doing anything wrong" look and then continue on after the usher leaves. :rolleyes

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Yep, most just regress to that childish phase of "You're not the boss of me!" and purposely try and be twice as annoying from that point on just to press your buttons.

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
The older you get, the ruder movie audiences will become. Funny how that works.

I used to work as an usher at a theater. We did actually usher latecomers to their seats and help them get seated quickly. We also had to patrol the theater for people talking, smoking or making out. Usually a word to the wise was sufficient, but we had the authority to ask people to leave.

As for the audience for The Hulk being worse than usual, well, come on...the movie's been hyped with this big green guy throwing his fist in your face, what do you expect audience-wise--the same group that attends the local symphony? Then, when the movie is "slow" by comic-book-Hulk-smash standards, that audience is more apt to talk and behave in other boorish ways. Gotta know that going in, don't you? When part of a movie's promotion is candy bar tie-ins, you gotta expect kids to be there, too.

I know it's elitist, but when I go to a movie, I go to the local expensive theater with the stadium seating. You just get a better audience there. When people pay a premium to get a better visual presentation, better sound, more leg room and more comfortable seats, they're generally more respectful of the film and of the other audience members. This has less to do with the annual income of the audience than it does with what they're willing to pay for a top-notch presentation.

Jan

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
If one has to take on the label of "elitist" to prefer enjoying a film with intelligent, respectful people, count me in. :D

Stephen_L

Supporting Actor
My problem with movies is not kids but their parents. I went to a Saturday matinee of "Finding Nemo" knowing I'd be in a theater full of kids. For the most part, when the action started they were as quiet as mice. Later at an evening film I sat next to a family with a 4-5 year old who never even watched the movie, squirmed around endlessly, kept asking to go home or be taken out. It wasn't his fault; he was 5 years old, but I do fault his parents not just for bringing him to a long movie but making no effort whatsoever to teach him the manners of a theater.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I had the same problem during The Hulk.
A little kid and his Dad were talking all most the whole movie.
I kept doing the half turn with an annoyed look but it didnt do any good.

People seem to think they are in their living rooms now a days and its obvious that manners in and out of the theatre for the general public have gone down the tubes.

Guy_K

Second Unit
I don't think movie audiences are getting worst, I just think we're all just getting older and we are noticing it moreso than before.

Same reason why the elderly glorify their youth; they tend to only remember the great parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks