Movie and TV characters with autistic symptoms (I need help again)

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by John Kilduff, Feb 13, 2005.

1. John Kilduff

John Kilduff Screenwriter

Now that our "I Love The 80s" list has been put to bed (and I could bring it up again to show the credits to the people who assisted me), I need assistance on a list of a different kind.

I suffer from a form of autism called Aspergers' Syndrome. It's an odd form of it that, in my experience, has you at your A-game mentally, but socially, emotionally and other-ally adrift.

I started this list last year on the 80s Movies Rewind, and that explains the primarily 80s bent of the list. What I need from you is assistance again. You're all good with movies and TV shows of all eras, so I need your assistance in expanding the list to include movies and TV characters from other decades. I'm not as atuned to other decades as I'd like to be (I'll remedy that soon, though).

The following are six traits of autism I was able to find at a website called O.A.S.I.S. I don't know the rest of the spectrum, so this primarily refers to Aspergers' Syndrome. If others could assist me on the psychological end as well, I would appreciate it.

Here it goes.
    ------------------------

Symptom: Deficiency in social skills

Characters:

-Paul Hackett (Griffin Dunne) in "After Hours"
    -Tony Montana (Al Pacino) in "Scarface" (NOTE: One could argue that dropping the F-bomb every other word and constantly packing heavy weaponry could drive people away even if you weren't autistic)
    -George McFly (Crispin Glover) in "Back To The Future"
    -Arabella McGee (Kathleen Wilhoite) in "Murphy's Law"
    -Harry Stone (Harry Anderson) on "Night Court"
    -John Bender (Judd Nelson) in "The Breakfast Club"
    -Allison Reynolds (Ally Sheedy) in "The Breakfast Club"
    -Tess McGill (Melanie Griffith) in "Working Girl" (Note: Why? Outside of Joan Cusack's Cyn, McGill has no real friends [most of the friends at her birthday party are probably Mick Dugan's friends, Dugan being played by Alec Baldwin] and Tess has to get plastered to get close to Jack Trainer [Harrison Ford])
    -Miles Harding (Lenny Von Dohlen) in "Electric Dreams"
    -Eric Gibb (Jay Underwood) in "The Boy Who Could Fly"
    -Roz Russell (Marsha Warfield) on "Night Court"
    -Melissa (Victoria Jackson) in "Casual Sex?"
    -Seymour Krelborn (Rick Moranis) in "Little Shop Of Horrors"
    -Malcolm Hughes (Colin Friels) in "Malcolm" (*The Wizard's contribution)
    -Jake and Elwood Blues (John Belushi and Dan Aykroyd) in "The Blues Brothers" (Note: I chose them to be in this category because if you watch the movie, you'll notice that outside of the Blues Brothers Band, they don't socialize very well and the only people who understand that are their ipso facto parental figures "The Penguin" [Kathleen Freeman] and Curtis [Cab Calloway])
    -Squeezit Henderson (Matthew Bright) in "Forbidden Zone"
    -Edward Scissorhands (Johnny Depp) in "Edward Scissorhands"
    -Julius Kelp (Jerry Lewis) in "The Nutty Professor" (1963)
    -Sherman Klump (Eddie Murphy) in "The Nutty Professor" (1996)
    -Chuck Lumley (Henry Winkler) in "Night Shift"
    -----------------------
    Symptom: Difficulties with transitions or changes/Preferring sameness

Characters:

-Raymond Babbitt (Dustin Hoffman) in "Rain Man"
    -Janis Zuckerman (Mary Gross) in "Feds"
    -Cameron Frye (Alan Ruck) in "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" (NOTE: I included Ruck's Frye because the character seemed resigned to and okay with a normal, dead-end life before Ferris took him on the joyride that he was afraid of)
    -Audrey (Ellen Greene) in "Little Shop Of Horrors" (NOTE: Included for sort of the same reason as the character of Cameron Frye...She seems resigned to and okay with being sadomasochistically abused by his boyfriend)
    -Valerie Gail (Geena Davis) in "Earth Girls Are Easy (Note: She appears to have difficulty with the fact that her fiancee' Ted [Charles Rocket] doesn't love her and will have sex with any woman within 50 feet of him)

-----------------------

Symptom: Obsessive routines/Preoccupation with a certain object of interest

Characters:

-Roberta Glass (Rosanna Arquette) in "Desperately Seeking Susan" (Obsession: The want ads)
    -Martin Riggs (Mel Gibson) in "Lethal Weapon" (Obsession: Wanting to end it all)
    -Ariel (voiced by Jodi Benson) in "The Little Mermaid" (Obsession: Life on dry land)
    -Ted Striker (Robert Hays) in "Airplane!" (Preoccupation: His military past)
    -Sledge Hammer (David Rasche) on "Sledge Hammer!" (Obsession: His gun)
    -Pee-Wee Herman (Paul Reubens) in "Pee-Wee's Big Adventure" (Obsession: His bike)
    -George Newman ("Weird" Al Yankovic) in "UHF" (Preoccupation: His daydreams)
    -Eddie Valiant (Bob Hoskins) in "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" (Preoccupation: His brother's murder)
    -Daryll Deever (William Hurt) in "Eyewitness" (His obsession: Sigourney Weaver's character Tony Sokolow)
    -Leo Getz (Joe Pesci) in "Lethal Weapon 2" (His obsession: The word "OK") (Thanks to Isis)
    -Jimmy Woods (Luke Edwards) in "The Wizard" (His obsession: Video games) (*The Wizard's contribution)
    -Nikki Brand (Debbie Harry) in "Videodrome" (Her obsession: Pushing the limits of self-torture [cutting, burning, et al])
    -Gordon Gekko (Michael Douglas) in "Wall Street" (His obsession: The accumulation of wealth)

-----------------------

Symptom: Difficulty reading non-verbal cues and determining proper body space

Characters:

-Farmer Ted/"The Geek" (Anthony Michael Hall) in "16 Candles"
    -Dan Fielding (John Laroquette) on "Night Court"
    -Vinny (Andrew "Dice" Clay) in "Casual Sex?"
    -The Close Talker (Judge Reinhold) from an episode of "Seinfeld"

------------------------

Symptom: Overly sensitive to sounds, tastes, smells and sights

Characters:

-Anna Zimmerman (Martha Byrne) in "Anna To The Infinite Power"
    =========================

Miscellaneous autistic characters:

-Pete Menzies (Stephen Kearney) in "Rikky And Pete" (*The Wizard's contribution)
    -Harvey Pekar (Paul Giamatti) in "American Splendor) (*Guo Xiong's contribution)
    -Tim Warden (Ben Faulkner) in "Silent Fall" (*StephenA's contribution)
    -Tommy Westphall (Chad Allen) on "St. Elsewhere" (*MikeWilsonSR's contribuion)
    -Johnny Horne (Robert Davenport) from "Twin Peaks"
    -Simon Lynch (Miko Hughes) in "Mercury Rising"
    --------------------------------------------

I should note that just because I list a character in one category, it doesn't mean that they don't fit into any others.

Also, I want to send the list when it's completed to
    O.A.S.I.S. I ask the permission of those who will assist me if they would be okay with it.

The main reason why I'm making this list is because I have so few autistic examples to look to in real life. Outside of Steven Spielberg and Bill Gates (both of whom have what I have according to the IMDB), our biggest example is Temple Grandin, a woman who works with animals. Not a big name, huh?

Thanks in advance for the assistance. It means a lot.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Also, if it seems like I may be stretching it with some of the characters I chose, please accept my apologies.

2. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

One movie I can think of is Silent Fall with Richard Dreyfuss where he deals with an autistic kid after his parents are murdered. I haven't seen it in ages and only that once, so I can't really give any more details.

3. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    Harvey Pekar and friends from "American Splendor." In fact there is a humorous scene where his wife is diagnosing all of Harvey's friends with various conditions and she labels one "borderline autistic."

4. John Kilduff

Thanks, Stephen and Guo...I added your contributions to the list.

Anybody got any others?

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Also, does anybody here have any form of autism themselves?

5. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

Supposedly I suffer from Asperger's Syndrome, but in fact I enjoy every minute of it! [​IMG] The truth is that I think the automatic categorisation of interpersonal variation as pathological is a real evil. Why not just be who one is?

6. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    the kid in 'Mercury Rising', Johnny Horne in Twin Peaks.

I'm not sure if these are accurate or if they are caricatures of autistic behaviour though.

7. MikeWilsonSr

MikeWilsonSr Auditioning

Chad Allen portrayed Tommy Westphall, the autistic child of a doctor on "St. Elsewhere." The final episode of the series ended with Tommy staring into a snow globe with a model of the hospital inside...the presumption being that the entire series had been a product of the boy's imagination.

8. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

Judge Reinhold as "The Close Talker" on Seinfeld

9. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale

or even Judge Reinhold [​IMG]

10. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

D'oh! That's what I get for relying on (faulty) memory rather than checking with imdb. [​IMG]

11. John Kilduff

Thanks for the assistance, Richard, Rob and Mike. It means a lot.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Anybody have any more?

12. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

I thought of another one. In Hellraiser 2 the character Tiffany hasn't spoken since she first was put in the hospital and is obsessed with solving all kinds of puzzles.