What's new

Movie and sound question(LED ZEP Film) (1 Viewer)

Kevin G.

Second Unit
Not sure where to put this, thought software/movies but it's more of a sound/ audio thought...(please move if inappropriate).
I just got Led Zep's Song Remains The Same for father's day. and it does indicate dolby...but no 5.1.
I thought maybe listen in two channel to make the most out of the movie/music but...(my receiver has indicator lights for the speakers that remain on if there's info being sent to the other channels.) lo and behold the lights were on.
So I began switching back and forth between Pro logic and 2-channel. not sure which I liked...

Anybody have any input? Which way would be best, sonically?
Which way would the re-issue have been meant to be listened to? Am I going anywhere with this thread?

Kevin G.

Second Unit
Not sure where to put this, thought software/movies but it's more of a sound/ audio thought...(please move if inappropriate).
I just got Led Zep's Song Remains The Same for father's day. and it does indicate dolby...but no 5.1.
I thought maybe listen in two channel to make the most out of the movie/music but...(my receiver has indicator lights for the speakers that remain on if there's info being sent to the other channels.) lo and behold the lights were on.
So I began switching back and forth between Pro logic and 2-channel. not sure which I liked...

Anybody have any input? Which way would be best, sonically?
Which way would the re-issue have been meant to be listened to? Am I going anywhere with this thread?

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
can you hear a difference? is the difference really due to different settings for your pro-logic versus 2-channel listening?

dolby can be just 2.0, btw.

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
can you hear a difference? is the difference really due to different settings for your pro-logic versus 2-channel listening?

dolby can be just 2.0, btw.

StephenHa

Second Unit
the best is whatever sounds the best to you, that movies was done in stereo originally, and has been remasterd in dolby

StephenHa

Second Unit
the best is whatever sounds the best to you, that movies was done in stereo originally, and has been remasterd in dolby

Kevin G.

Second Unit
yeah, I mean the obvious difference is the lack of rear channel info while listening 2 ch.
The definition seems to be a bit more in 2ch. Also, a bit louder.
And, while the pan across the soundstage isn't quite as defined as it would be if it were 5.1... most of the vocals do come from the center channel, while in Pro Logic.(I do have a 3-channel stereo mode also, but haven't tried it as of yet.)
I guess the root of the question is because, lately, I have been listening to all my music in 2 channel. Which has helped me to re-discover my cd's. I kind of assumed that that would go hand in hand with the dvd.

Kevin G.

Second Unit
yeah, I mean the obvious difference is the lack of rear channel info while listening 2 ch.
The definition seems to be a bit more in 2ch. Also, a bit louder.
And, while the pan across the soundstage isn't quite as defined as it would be if it were 5.1... most of the vocals do come from the center channel, while in Pro Logic.(I do have a 3-channel stereo mode also, but haven't tried it as of yet.)
I guess the root of the question is because, lately, I have been listening to all my music in 2 channel. Which has helped me to re-discover my cd's. I kind of assumed that that would go hand in hand with the dvd.

Glen C

Stunt Coordinator
i would listen to TSRTS with your amp in "stereo" mode only (PCM if available - i can't recall offhand)... no surround. it sounds best that way.

Glen C

Stunt Coordinator
i would listen to TSRTS with your amp in "stereo" mode only (PCM if available - i can't recall offhand)... no surround. it sounds best that way.

Kevin G.

Second Unit
I was pretty impressed with the overall quality of the film.... For a thirty year old movie, I actually had to back off the bass (Bonzo was abusing the s**t outta those skins!!!!!)
I remember watching it on video when I was in college... all those old feelings coming back

Kevin G.

Second Unit
I was pretty impressed with the overall quality of the film.... For a thirty year old movie, I actually had to back off the bass (Bonzo was abusing the s**t outta those skins!!!!!)
I remember watching it on video when I was in college... all those old feelings coming back

Heinz W

Second Unit
Kevin, do you have the new Zeppelin DVD? It's WAY better than TSRTS. I especially like Page's new mix of Since I've Been Loving You from TSRTS out-takes (1973), plus the Albert Hall (1970) and Earl's Court segments are incredible. If you don't have it run out and buy it now!

Heinz W

Second Unit
Kevin, do you have the new Zeppelin DVD? It's WAY better than TSRTS. I especially like Page's new mix of Since I've Been Loving You from TSRTS out-takes (1973), plus the Albert Hall (1970) and Earl's Court segments are incredible. If you don't have it run out and buy it now!

Kevin G.

Second Unit
cool, thanks for the review Heinz. I really looked at it when I was shopping, and picked it up, and put it back a couple of times. Next time it won't go back on the shelf.

Kevin G.

Second Unit
cool, thanks for the review Heinz. I really looked at it when I was shopping, and picked it up, and put it back a couple of times. Next time it won't go back on the shelf.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
The disc is authored such that if your receiver auto-detects via the DD meta-data, it will switch to pro-logic. This one sounds pretty good (and pretty similar) either way.

Regards,

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
The disc is authored such that if your receiver auto-detects via the DD meta-data, it will switch to pro-logic. This one sounds pretty good (and pretty similar) either way.

Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks