Movie Alert: obscure film gem tonight (Sat. 8/31) on TCM!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Peter M Fitzgerald, Aug 31, 2002.

1. Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald Screenwriter

Peter Fitzgerald
    Just a heads-up to those in the USA that TCM (Turner Classic Movies) will be airing a fine, noir-ish trucker movie, HELL DRIVERS (1957-British), tonight (Saturday, August 31st) at 11:15 PM (Eastern). Highly recommended by yours truly.
    Directed by Cy Endfield (ZULU, THE MYSTERIOUS ISLAND, SANDS OF THE KALAHARI), with cinematography by the great Geoffrey Unsworth (2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY, SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE, CABARET, A NIGHT TO REMEMBER, MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS, BECKET, etc), and get a load of the cast (especially you 1960s spy fans):
    * Stanley Baker (ZULU, THE GUNS OF NAVARONE, ACCIDENT)
    * Patrick McGoohan (SECRET AGENT/DANGER MAN, THE PRISONER, BRAVEHEART)
    * Herbert Lom (Clouseau's insane boss in the PINK PANTHER movies, EL CID, THE LADYKILLERS)
    * Sean Connery (007!)
    * Peggy Cummins (CURSE OF THE DEMON)
    * William Hartnell (the original DR. WHO!)
    * David McCallum (Illya Kuryakin on THE MAN FROM U.N.C.L.E.)
    * Gordon Jackson (THE GREAT ESCAPE, THE IPCRESS FILE, UPSTAIRS DOWNSTAIRS, etc)
    * Jill Ireland (Mrs. Charles Bronson)
    * Alfie Bass (the Jewish vampire in Polanski's THE FEARLESS VAMPIRE KILLERS)
    * Sidney James (the "CARRY ON" comedies)
    TCM has run HELL DRIVERS before, but not for a few years, so here's a rare chance to give it a look before it disappears from view once again. Turner/Warner likely has the DVD rights to this in the USA, but don't count on a Region 1 release of something like this anytime soon.
    Film running time: 1 hour 48 minutes

2. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    I am really getting angry about all these great films appearing on TCM since Cablevision will not offer up the channel to me! [​IMG]
    I saw a 16mm print of HELL DRIVERS a few years ago and it's a neat picture. Mr. Fitzgerald's recommendation is spot-on.

3. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

I wasn't planning on watching this, but since the Peters are recommending it, I'll record it.

~T