Moved to CA....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill Cowmeadow, Nov 6, 2002.

1. Bill Cowmeadow

Bill Cowmeadow Second Unit

Well I made the move to California in Sept. and am now in a house in Rosamond. I thought Ca. was a progressive state, but I could not have been more wrong. I have been waiting for a drivers license for almost three months, Buying a house was simply a nightmare, Groceries at the local Albertsons are priced way to high, Water is $100 a month, and it ain't rained since I got here Sept. 2nd. Other than that I like the place. Seriously, California is not as bad as some make out, but I think the red tape and hoops a home owner has to go through are excessive (exactly what did the escrow company do for me, except keep asking for more and more money up front to close the loan?). The worst thing about the move was that I left behind the BARCO 801s projector in my old house. At least all our other stuff got here damage free. One other note, if you are driving this way from Kansas, interstate 40 a boring drive, almost nothing to see from OKC all the way here.

2. Chris Derby

Chris Derby Second Unit

well, go ahead and change the location in your profile then... [​IMG]
    welcome to california!

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Bill, not to state the obvious, but you're not in Kansas anymore. Welcome to California Nation.

(You'll come to like us.)

4. Grant B

Grant B Producer

When you call back to Kansas in Feb and they havent seen the sun in 4 months and they are bitchin about the snow in the driveway and the $300 bill for heat .....and you look outside and its just under 70 and sunny; you'll kick yourself for not leaving years ago.
    And of course there are things that suck....we already have something like 29 million people;we really dont need another 100 million living here!

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

About that Interstate 40 drive, you don't find the dramatic, mesa-dominated change in landscape beautiful once you pass the Texas border into New Mexico? You don't find the colorful desert scenery of Arizona thrilling?

One of my admin colleagues who came here about two months ago for a California HTF business gathering remarked that visiting California is more like visiting another country than another state.

Life is different here. The land is different. The people are multicultural and diverse. Northern California boasts the most beautiful scenery in the continental U.S. San Francisco is America's most progressive city (along with Berkeley). Los Angeles and Southern California possess unbeatable climate. Anaheim has its Angels.

California, baby.

6. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

7. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

You could expect to see some rain soon.

~T