What's new

Moved sub....no more bang...help! (1 Viewer)

John_Bilbrey

Second Unit
After the most recent rearranging of the furniture in the living room, the sweet spot has moved from my chair to the couch. However, with this move, I seem to have lost some of the output from my sub (JBL PB12). Standing in the previous sweet spot, the output is still there, it's just that the new sweet spot is much farther away from the sub than before. Any suggestions aside from relocating the sub? I have checked all connections and it's good. The output is the same, it's just that the new spot is not as close to the sub. The sub is located along the "front" wall, between the L main and the TV/center. Also, the room is now oriented along the "long" side (front to back) of the living room. It was previously setup with the "short" side front to back. The wife won't go for another sub or an upgrade.....

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
Recalibrate it with an SPL meter from the place where you want to be the main listening area. You may need to turn it up a little to get it to reference level in the new listening area.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
It’s hard to tell anything with the little information you gave us, John (e.g., locations matter, not what kind of furniture you’re sitting in).
But generally speaking, a sub has the greatest output if placed in a corner. In addition, the sub’s output is more apparent at seats near the wall and less apparent at locations away from the wall. Perhaps this will help you figure out what is “wrong” or what you need to do to correct the situation.
Bottom line, John, you will probably have to move either the sub or your “sweet spot.” If it helps, I know a few divorce lawyers. :D
Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Barry BB

Stunt Coordinator
You know how they say that with real estate the one thing that matters is "location, location, location". Well the same is true for subs. You may not have moved the location of your sub but you did move the location of your prime listening area.

Michael Lomker

Stunt Coordinator
I think Brian had the most logical suggestion. Grab your SPL meter and recalibrate the output from your new listening spot (not just for the sub but all of the speakers).
It is also typical for different places in your room to have more bass than others due to reflections, standing waves, etc. That is why dedicated home theaters have acoustical treatments to balance these out.
Acoustical treatment is overkill for many of us, but it really can make a difference. Check out the following site if you're curious:
http://www.tubetrap.com

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks