What's new

Moved my sub...change settings? (1 Viewer)

RichST

Grip
Hey guys,

Running a HK-AVR 225, NSP-II (5), and a Dayton 10"

Sub set on:: Phase: 0, Crossover: 160

Had the sub behind some cabinets on the right side of the TV (sounded good, but rattled all the cabinets). Decided to move it to the rear of the room on the right side, now next to the couch. Problem is I can now totally tell its coming from next to me instead of behind the picture like it used to.

Is there something on the sub/receiver (crossover, phase, etc.) I should adjust? Or, just move it back behind the TV and rattle proof my cabinets (I'd rather not)?

Thanks all.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Moving a distance like that will definitely require you to adjust your settings, specifically the level. Ideally you would do this with an SPL meter, but if you don't have one, try to adjust the sub's volume level between the receiver's adjustment and the sub's adjustment until you reach the point where you don't quite hear where it is located. Flip the phase between 0 and 180 and pick whichever one sounds best.

Dick Knisely

Second Unit
Can you drop the crossover down? I'm told that a 80hz crossover setting will also reduce any localization tho' I've not tried a comparison personally.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Is the crossover setting of 160Hz a choice on your sub or on your receiver/decoder?

It is a bit high for a subwoofer channel, but if your sub is set to 160Hz and your receiver's bass-management to 80Hz-100Hz, it's alright (if the crossover is set on the receiver, the sub's own crossover should always be higher).
However, if the 160Hz is the cross-over (as set on the receiver), I'm not surprised that you can localize it.

Also, you may need to change the relative sound level of the sub, preferably by using a calibration disc.

Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks