Move over behaviorists: Animals really do have emotions!

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Max Leung, Jul 14, 2003.

1. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Animal Emotions

2. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Interesting bit I found while combing through the actual research docs:

"If cats were covered in scales and not so cute, they would be revealed for the bastards that they are."

j/k [​IMG] I have two cats I adore, but I could definitely see them eating me if I happened to croak. Dogs would likely just starve...

3. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

That they do! [​IMG] (Rule, that is)

I've never doubted animals' capacity to feel emotions. Nice to see the the advancement of science has served to not only prove several long-standing theories, but also to disprove a few [​IMG]

4. Michael Warner

Michael Warner Supporting Actor

It's always amazed me that people think that human emotions are so much different from those of other higher mammals. What's so special about the human concept of love? It's clearly a survival strategy that one would assume other pack animals utilize.

5. Micheal

Micheal Screenwriter

I remember when I was a a teenager and our 18 year old dog simply lost it. He was growling, snarling and almost attacked my Dad so he had to lock him in the back shed. My dog barked, clawed and did his best to try and get through that door for most of the evening. By morning the dog was back to normal and was extremely apologetic. You could just tell that he knew he did something terribly wrong and was really trying to make up for it. With his tail between his legs he would whimper and whine while keeping his head down. He would lick my fathers hand to try and get sympathy from him and followed him around the house the entire morning. Unfortunately my Father had him put down later on that day. [​IMG]
    He just couldn't risk something like that happening around the family again.

I was convinced from that day on that animals have feelings. He knew that he did something wrong and did his best to say "I'm sorry". Barring that incident, he was the best dog that I've ever known.

I've had a dog in my life since the day I was born.

6. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

My dog clearly exhibits jealousy every time the cat jumps on the couch. She is at this moment miffed because I won't let her sit on my lap as I type this. She shows clear evidence of guilt if I come home too late and she's piddled on the floor in my absence. Sometimes she climbs up on me and wedges herself between me and the couch arm for a "cuddle" during a movie. If I express anger or frustration while playing a video game or watching Faux News channel she trembles in fear.

All of these emotional reactions are as clear and easy to see as any human emotions, if not more so. I don't need a scientist to verify that my dog has emotions of love, fear, jealousy, even possesiveness of her collar and toys.

Even the evil creatures from hell (cats) that I've had over the years have been capable of clearly displaying emotions.

7. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    My goodness I think you all need a therapy session with the one and only Fluffy Pumpkin.

8. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

9. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

10. Mark Schermerhorn

Mark Schermerhorn Second Unit

I think a lot of the reason people refuse to believe animals have emotions are reasons we really can't get into on this forum [​IMG] Although you can boil that down to vanity, as Todd just mentioned.

11. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Fluffy Pumpkin - that is the coolest cat name I have ever heard in my life [​IMG] Ever!

12. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

My co-worker has a hairless cat named Fluffy. [​IMG]

13. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott
    My cat has violent mood swings between ennui and apathy.

14. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

Mark- I think vanity accurately covers what you are thinking, but dare not speak.[​IMG]

15. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

16. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

even my puppy does. When she's mad at you she'll look away when you talk to her, it's funny.
    they can clearly tell if you're ill, or angry and react to it, I'm with the others, doesn't take a scientist to tell me this [​IMG]

17. andrew markworthy