What's new

mouting speakers with resilient channel? (1 Viewer)

MarkMac

Stunt Coordinator
I am planning a dedicated theater room right now, and I am intending to use resilient channel to hang the 5/8 drywall on the walls. One thought that came to mind is how do I hang my RS-7 surrounds on these walls? I know I have to avoid grounding the drywall to the studs, but what can I do to mount my 24lb surrounds? There are keyholes located on the back of the speakers, and the intention behind them is to drive 3" wood screws into a stud in order to mount them. I can't do this, though, because that would ground the drywall to the framing. Is it reasonable to think I could just drive screws through the drywall into the resilient channel, and hang the speakers from that?

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
You could attach a square of plywood on the back side of the drywall to give the screws something to drive into and to distribute the weight of the speaker over a larger area.

It'd take a little planning since you wont have access to the plywood once the drywall is up. So, you'll have to know where the speaker is going on the piece of drywall before you hang it up.

Bryce_H

Stunt Coordinator
I mounted my Def Tech BPX with no problem just using some drywall achors. I get the white kind that look like a gaint screw. These

Heck, in my old townhouse I used them to mount my projector.

MarkMac

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the suggestions.

Bryce-How much do your BPXs weigh? I could only find dimensions on DefTech's website--no weights.

Bryce_H

Stunt Coordinator
Not sure - I tried to find the info as well before posting. Their hefty and the anchors I listed are rated to 50 pounds in drywall, so you should be good.

Would it be as effective if you do drive the big screws into the studs but cut a hole around the screw and put some sound acoustic cocking arond it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks