What's new

Mounting Speakers (1 Viewer)

ShaunK

Auditioning
I've got a friend that had someone help him run some wires and drill some holes, when he was having his basement redone, to put in surround sound.

I'm not sure what the person who drilled the holes had in mind, but maybe you guys can help. He drilled four holes for the front and surround left and right channel speakers in the ceiling. The holes in the ceiling are about 6 1/2" in diameter.

Do you guys know of some mounting brackets that would fit well into these holes so that they could then mount about any surround sound speakers from the ceiling?

Thanks,
Shaun

Conrad Ebel

Agent
Sounds like they were planning to put in some flush mount speakers in there. If you need speakers, I got mine from hometheaterdirect.com. I got some flush mounts for my living areas and some of their speaker mounts to mount my bookshelf speakers in my dedicated theater. I couldn't find much better deals anywhere else. Pretty quality stuff to.

Good luck.

ShaunK

Auditioning
Flush mount speakers? Wouldn't those cut down on the surround sound effect significantly? Wouldn't they point straight down instead of towards the center of the room? Do you know if there's a way to put some kind of mount in the holes that you could hang standard front channel and surround speakers from?

Thanks,
Shaun

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
There are some flushmount speakers that have drivers that are aimed at the listening area. Triad, Speakercraft, Sonance, and TruAudio all make models like this. If you don't want to go with flush mount you could always get a mounting kit and go with surface mounted speakers, and just repair the drywall to remove the holes.

ShaunK

Auditioning
Thanks for the reply. I looked at some by Boston that had the pivoting tweeter at a local audio/video store. The least expensive they had were about $125 per speaker and that's not including the center and sub. The people I'm helping out don't want to spend more than about $300-$500 total. Are there any you would suggest that would be a little more in that price range?

They don't have to sound extremely good, just as long as they'll give them the surround sound.

Thanks,
Shaun

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
The brands I was referring to actually have an aimable woofer, or one that is pre-aimed in addition to the tweeter. Wow--$300-500. I don't think you can do in ceiling for that price, unless you just put in the front three speakers for now and added the rear later. It may not be a bad idea to have him ask his original "helper" who put the holes there what he had in mind. You could put a home-theater in a box speaker kit up for around $300, but you may need to budget for mounting brackets (which aren't cheap), and would need to budget for drywall repair to get rid of the 6 inch holes. I think that is your best bet with the budget. If you try to do ceiling speakers for hometheater on that tight of a budget you will be very disappointed with the results.

ShaunK

Auditioning
Apparently the guy who drilled the holes was from the local audio/video store and drilled the holes when he was installing their satellite. They told him they were thinking of surround sound and asked if he could go ahead while he was there and set up their room for surround sound. So he drilled four 6 1/2" holes in the ceiling.

I think he just wanted to sell them the $175-$250/each Boston speakers. They don't want to pay anything near that, but they don't want to fix the holes either, so I'm stuck trying to find a solution. They said they don't care so much about the quality, they just want something that will give them 5.1 and will look nice.

I found these, let me know what you think of them.
store.spectravox.us/ic5s.html

Thanks,
Shaun

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam

No comment.

As to the speakers you found, I've never heard them (or of them for that matter). Based on their quote above I say go for them and let us know how they work out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks