mounting speakers on wall

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Mike*R, Sep 26, 2005.

1. Mike*R

Mike*R Auditioning

how do i mount my speakers on the wall? i have 2 yamaha NS-6490's that are about 12 lbs each. They do not have any pre-made holes to screw a mount into them, and I was wondering how you know where to screw the mount onto the speakers. Also, do these need to be mounted on a stud? Because the walls that they will be mounted on are made of drywall plaster (well, at least 2 layers of it, not sure whats under that). I'm just not sure if that will hold 2 of these speakers
    well thats all for now, and thanks in advance
    mike

2. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    I have 2 Thiel SCS2s mounted on the bedroom wall. They are about 19 inches tall and weigh about 30 lbs. I also have a B&W CDM rear center mounted to the ceiling in the basement system. I use Omnimount's in each of them - www.omnimount.com. Yes, I did mount them in a stud, much more secure. I used big lag bolts and screwed them in the back of the speaker near the center (but not having the plate block the connection terminals). I have other speaker mounts laying around that I never used that are advertised as being able to hold heavy bookshelf type speakers. They are very similar or the same to these - http://www.skymall.com/webapp/skysto...9&catId=Search

I got them from there a few yrs. back but decided not to use them. There are other things as well.

3. Mike*R

Mike*R Auditioning

will drywall hold these though?

4. chuckg

chuckg Supporting Actor

Check your local home improvement store for moounting optioins. 12 lbs isn't a great deal of weight, and drywall alone is OK, but screwing into a stud is much safer.

ALSO, do be careful about hanging speakers using screws into the back. Most speaker boxes were not designed with the idea of being hung from their back panel. Try something that supports the speaker from underneath, or brackets that attach to the sides of the speaker for greater safety.