Mounting Speakers In-Wall

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by JasonScot, Jul 21, 2003.

1. JasonScot

JasonScot Auditioning

Jul 21, 2003
    I an trying to find what should be a simple thing...I currently have the mini Bose speakers which will fit nicely in my wall (they are very shallow).

I can't seem to find a wall mounted speaker grill to cover up the hole. I simply want to cut into the drywall and make a mini shelf in there to sit the speaker on. I figured someone would make a simple grill to make it look like an in-wall installation...

Any help or suggestions here??

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

May 22, 1999

It's not really a good idea to cut a hole and shove a speaker into the opening and expect it to sound good.

Speakers radiate out the sides & back. Putting a speaker into a "cubby" in a entertainment center tends to produce a sound similar to you talking through a toilet-paper tube - a hollow/echo sound.

The Bose cubes work best attached to wall-mounts. They are prized for their small, unobtrusive size. Trying to hide them in a hole - is kind of redundant.

But if you must do this, try going to This site has a lot of materials for speaker-builders. One thing you might look at is acoustically-transparent cloth (for making your own speaker cover), and sound-absorbtion panels/stuffing for filling in around the speakers to help reduce the echo.

Good Luck.