What's new

mounting satelliete speakers upside down (1 Viewer)

ShauneWES

Auditioning
hi, i recently purchused a panasonic HT05 home theater. i would like to mount the speakers upside down on the roof because they have non removable stands. will this cause any bad effects or anything?

ps tryed to attach URL to panasonics website, but wasnt allowed, sorry

thanks

waltPark

Auditioning
Speakers are designed for a certain orientation. The baffles, the layout, and the cross over networks are designed together. If you turn it upside down or on it's side, it will change how it sounds, and if you mount it from the ceiling, you'll also have issues with off axis response. But then, you'd get wierd stuff since it'll probably be in a corner and stuff that isnt optimal for sound.

You can always try it and see how it sounds to you. It might be ok for you, but only you can decide that. If you can hear a difference, good or bad, then decide. If you can't, dont worry about it.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
That’s true, but it assumes you will be using the speaker in the normal fashion – i.e, on a stand or sitting on the ground.

When you install speakers overhead, the game changes. Speakers that are a couple feet or more above ear level should be inverted. This positions the tweeter closer to ear level, which improves imaging.

Even beyond that, you wouldn’t install a ceiling-mounted speaker “tweeter up” for the same reason that you wouldn’t install it on the floor “tweeter down.” You want the woofer close to the boundary to maximize bass reinforcement, and you want the tweeter away from the boundary to minimize reflections.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

waltPark

Auditioning
If you're mounting the speaker from the ceiling though, upside down or right side up probably wont make much difference in right ness. You're going to be pretty far off axis unless you tilt the speaker, and then you will be targeting a certain area of the floor anyway.

Some speakers are designed with the tweeter on the bottom, like some of the jamo's book shelf speakers. Also some center channel's are like that because they assume you're setting it on a big screen tv where the top is typically higher than your seated head, with the baffle used to help image down a bit.

BTW, this is all probably not going to matter much in this case. It's a $250 retail HTIAB we're talking about, which is why I suggested that he try listening to it to see if he can hear a difference.

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:

When you install speakers overhead, the game changes. Speakers that are a couple feet or more above ear level should be inverted. This positions the tweeter closer to ear level, which improves imaging.

Even beyond that, you wouldn’t install a ceiling-mounted speaker “tweeter up” for the same reason that you wouldn’t install it on the floor “tweeter down.” You want the woofer close to the boundary to maximize bass reinforcement, and you want the tweeter away from the boundary to minimize reflections.

That's precisely why I have placed all three pairs of two-way surround sound monitors in the large HT system in such operating fashion!... :emoji_thumbsup:

-THTS

"...hi, my name is Frank...and am an SVS bassaholic..."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks