What's new

Mounting rears facing toward the ceiling? (1 Viewer)

Dan Hotch

Agent
Haven't got the speakers yet, but I am planning on getting Atoms for the rear speakers and I was wondering if mounting them about 2 or 3 feet of the ground (in the corners of the room) facing up to the ceiling would be bad acoustically? The room has a vaulted ceiling that stands about 14 feet on the left and slopes up from left to right at about 30°.

Not exactly what I want to do, but hiding the rears as much as possible will give me more ammo when asking for permission for the bigger TV from the "War Department."

Craig Morris

Stunt Coordinator
That configuration was quite popular in the Prologic days. It helped spread the sound around. I'm not sure how it would work with Dolby Digital and DTS. It would probably work pretty well for movies, you just wouldn't get pinpoint discrete effects. If you happen to prefer the sound of dipolar/bipolar rears for movies (like myself), then the setup you describe would likely be a good imitation of that effect.

MatthewJ S

Supporting Actor
Dan, I have had great sucsess with placing bookshelf speakers on the floor (behind furniture like sofas)when wiring in an apartment,etc. was not poosible behind walls, or when the significant other didn't wan't to see the surrounds.GOOD LUCK!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks