Mounting Paradigm Studio ADP ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AaronG, Jun 11, 2002.

1. AaronG

AaronG Stunt Coordinator

Hi guys,

Just got a set of Paradigm Studio ADPs. In the instructions it just says to use the enclosed toggle bolts to mount the speakers to the drywall. These things weigh over 30lbs each. Do you guys feel it is sufficient to use the toggle bolts, or should I be mounting these to a stud with wood screws?

Thanks,
    Aaron

2. Steven Hen

Steven Hen Stunt Coordinator

I mounted mine to the stud. I'm sure the supplied anchors will be ok but for piece of mind I had to mount to a stud. These things are heavy!

3. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

Aaron, I do not own the adp's, but YES, they are heavy buggers. I lifted one up today at the local dealer. I was rather surprised by the weight.

Paradigm lists them at 63 lbs. per pair

I would agree wholeheartedly with Steve after handling them today. Use a stud!!

If you don't mind, let us know what your impressions are of them. I am thinking in the future to purchase them myself.

Charles

4. AaronG

AaronG Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the responses!
    If you had to choose between mounting them in their optimum position or in a stud 6"-8" from the best spot, which would you choose?

Aaron

5. Bruce N

Bruce N Second Unit

I have a pair of Definitive Technology BPVX surrounds hanging on drywall anchors with no problem. These speakers are HEAVY, each one has four 6" drivers. They've been hanging like this for well over a year with no problems.

I'd go for the proper position. I don't think a stud is neccessary with the proper drywall anchor.

Bruce

6. James Bergeron

James Bergeron Supporting Actor

I agree with Bruce, just get those large butterfly drywall anchors, then you'll be fine!

7. Kauwuane

Kauwuane Auditioning

I made the mistake of using a drywall anchor over a stud. That anchor was completly destroyed. I have one on a stud with a basic wood screw and the other on a dry way anchor. Either way should be fine.

And yes those babies are heavy, my shoulders were in pain the next day from holding them above my head while connecting them to the speaker wire.

8. Mike OConnell

Mike OConnell Second Unit

Mike
    The drywall anchors are just fine. Mine were mounted with the anchors in the locations shown in this link:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/bbs/...ent/28828.html
    Get help from a friend or preferably two friends to mount these speakers, or get a ladder at the right height to set the speakers on while at the same time attaching the wires to the speakers.
    They are plenty heavy and are a virtually impossible one-person job.
    My wife and I, along with a step ladder to set the speaker on while attaching the wires, did the hanging. The first one took us a good 30 minutes to hang, the second about 5 after I figured out how to determine if I had the speaker all the way into the bracket (the pencil marks helped alot).
    I highly recommend using a pencil to make an erasable mark on the wall so that you can get the left/right placement correct on the wall before you slide the speaker onto the bracket. In addition, make a mark on the wall that indicates the position the speaker should be in when you get the bracket fully inserted.
    Ours have been hanging on the wall for 18 months now with the occasional head knock before we moved a table under the speaker to prevent injuries.
    Mike

9. AaronG

AaronG Stunt Coordinator

Thanks guys!

Anyone else before I drill the holes?

Aaron

10. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    I've had mine hanging for 2 years w/o any problems (drywall anchors, no stud).

11. Richie-C

Richie-C Agent

I have had a pair now for just over 3 weeks and I mounted them in the sheetrock only and they haven't been an issue so far.

At what height should these be set at and should they be directly on either side of where you are sitting?

12. Jim Prillaman

Jim Prillaman Stunt Coordinator

I'll chime in with the "drywall anchors are fine" camp -- I've had them in place for over a year now without any trouble.

13. Tony Meconiates

Tony Meconiates Stunt Coordinator

I just ordered a pair of these today.
    What height should they be mounted at?

And do the speakers come with drywall anchors? If yes, is there a better type of anchor to increase mounting stability?

14. Raffi A

Raffi A Extra

I also used the anchors that came with the speakers on drywall. Im going on 6 months and counting with no problems.

Raffi

15. Gruson

Gruson Second Unit

I too have some on the way.

What height should we put our ADPs (using mine as side speakers in a 7.1 set up)?

Should they be right about ear level with he rest of the speakers in my set up or 3 feet above ear level?

Should my rear speakers (EX channel) be higher too? Using Studio 40s for those....

Thanks all,

JW

16. Bruce Chang

Bruce Chang Second Unit

I would say use lag bolts instead of anchors, they're much stronger. I cut a piece of 3/4 mdf to size for my Axiom QS8 on my walls. Used 2 lag bolt per side and it's pretty strong. I put my my wieght (160lbs) and it handled it fine. Make sure you put it on a stud or a pilar.

17. JeffMuller

JeffMuller Stunt Coordinator

I used the drywall anchors, and they've been hanging for over 2 years. They're pretty beefy anchors, too.

18. Shawn Solar

Shawn Solar Supporting Actor

I have mine mounted 6ft to the centre tweeter. I find this a bit high but being over 6ft myself if I would mount them lower I wouldn't be able to duck them when I go to the front door. I would go 5(1/2)ft to the tweeter. It would add a bit more to directional cues. I also had them on stands for awhile. Not very good at all.