Mounting Paradigm Atoms on speaker stands. Cat proof?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eugene Hsieh, Oct 17, 2001.

1. Eugene Hsieh

Eugene Hsieh Supporting Actor

My GF wants to buy a pair of shielded Paradigm Atoms for her TV. The amplification will be the TV actually - it has an amp with speaker level outputs, and her original speakers are toast. I tried my old Titans with it and to my surprise it sounded quite good.
    Unfortunately, she has nothing on which to place her speakers. (Her old tiny speakers were mounted to the sides of the TV.) She was looking at stands, and the most affordable strong stands she saw had a mount for the speaker about 4"x5" with screw holes (if necessary) at each corner.
    How best to cat proof her speakers? I don't want to see her speakers falling 3 feet to the floor when her cats bump the stand.
    I assume sticky tape would be insufficient, but I'm hesitant to drill four holes in the bottom of the Atoms. Can I damage something? Is there anything important near the bottom of the speakers that can short out?
    BTW, The Paradigm Phantoms are now floor standing and probably only about 25% more than the combo of the Atoms and the stands. However, in the past I was not as impressed with the sound of the Phantoms. I think the Atoms are superior sounding speakers, minus the (somewhat muffled) bass. I don't think the TV has the power to drive the Phantoms anyway, but I'm not sure exactly what they require.
    ------------------
    Eugene Hsieh, VisorCentral FAQ Editor
    1000 km on a tank of gas??? Check out the Prius and drive the future now!
    Check out my switched Dual Boot DVD Player Hack .
    [Edited last by Eugene Hsieh on October 17, 2001 at 10:20 AM]

2. PhilWang

PhilWang Auditioning

Eugene,
    Is wall mounting a valid option for your GF? That would be one way of cat-proofing. The wall brackets also tend to be far cheaper than a pair of decent stands. Your Paradigm dealer should have matching wall mounting brackets for around $20-25 US.
    good luck,
    Phil

3. Eugene Hsieh

Thanks, but unfortunately that's not an option. The TV is in a corner, with a cement wall on one side and windows on the other.
    ------------------
    Check out my switched Dual Boot DVD Player Hack.

4. Darin H

Darin H Auditioning

When I first bought my Atoms I had them on cheap MDF speaker stands. It took about a month and a half for one of our cats to send one crashng to the floor. The good news is that the speaker survived the fall without any damage. I then purchased some heavy sand-fillable stands from Lovan. The speakers and stands are very solid now. I blue taked the speakers to the stands, and I am very happy with the results.

5. Eugene Hsieh

Where do I get Blue Tack or something similar?
    What about double-sided tapes?
    ------------------
    Check out my switched Dual Boot DVD Player Hack.

6. Andrew B

Andrew B Agent

I have had good luck with using the blue tack (the poster goo) to keep my center speaker mounted to the center of my TV. The cat has jumped on top of the TV and knocked everything off except my speaker [​IMG] This should work to keep you speaker on top of the stand for most bumps, unless the cat manages to knock the entire stand over the speaker should stay. Another option that I use for my rear surrounds are cheap bar stools (just sit the speaker on top), you can get them at walmart and other such stores for $20-30 each. These have a much wider base so they are not so prone to tipping when hit, so far my cats have not so much as moved them and my Mini Monitors have remained safe (though I have been meaning to add some blue tack for the extra measure of saftey). The only problem is that the bar stools are a bit on the big and ugly side for some rooms. Anyway hope this helps.
    Andrew