Mounting large speakers on the wall

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Daniel Hawl, Sep 3, 2003.

1. Daniel Hawl

Daniel Hawl Agent

I live in an apartment, and am trying to figure out the best way to mount my Klipsch RS-3 II surround speakers on the wall behind my couch. They have to be mounted on this wall as there are no walls to the sides and I can't have them on stands because of a little kiddo I have running around, but I can't find speaker mounts that will seem to work for these speakers. They have two screwhole type mounts in the back, but they don't hold the speaker to the wall and it moves side to side when used.. so I'm lost.

My only other idea is possibly placing them on shelves mounted on the wall.

Any ideas?

2. Daniel Hawl

Daniel Hawl Agent

I posted this in the wrong forum.

shucks.

3. Chris A H

Chris A H Stunt Coordinator

I mounted some very large (30lbs. each) Polk speakers using bed rail hangers, one screwed into the speaker and another into the wall stud. They held through 3 earthquakes, so I recommend them highly.

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Daniel,

If there are screw slots, then the speaker are suitable for wall-mounting applications. If it isn’t working, then there is something you are not doing correctly.

You didn’t give us much information – like are the screw slots horizontal, vertical, etc. Plus, I couldn’t find an RS-3 II on the Klipsch website (essentially the same as the RS-35, I presume?). So it’s hard for me to get specific.

However, since you said they move “side to side” that would indicate the screw slots are vertical, so I’ll proceed based on that assumption.

First, with speakers this heavy the screws need to be anchored into a stud. Use sheetmetal screws at least 2” long, and as large as will fit through the speaker’s screw slots. Hopefully they will accommodate at least a #10 screw.

The drill bit you use for a pilot hole should be no larger than the shaft of the screw, excluding the threads. Thus the screw should be a bit difficult going in to the stud.

Since they speakers are moving from side to side, that tells me you are leaving the screws sticking out of the wall too far. They should stick out just far enough for the speaker’s screw slots to drop over the head. If you do this successfully, the speaker will be flush against the wall. If they are raised off the wall, take the screws in some more, and keep trying until the speakers are flush.

By the way – it’s really tough aligning screws for two slots. The distance between them has to be pretty much exactly the same as the slots themselves. However, I would expect the speakers came with some kind of template to make this easier.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt