Mounting LARGE rear speakers.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by SteveDinn, Dec 19, 2001.

1. SteveDinn

SteveDinn Auditioning

Hey everyone. I'm currently getting one of my basement rooms furnished into a dedicated home theatre (pictures and article). My speakers are all Sound Dyamics...RTS-11s for fronts, RTS-C2 for center and RTS-7s for surrounds.
    I'd like to mount my surround speakers (second from the left)up on the wall (see protruding cable), but the trouble is that they're meant to be standing on the floor, and they're fairly heavy at 35 lbs. I thought of the possibility of mounting them either upright in the corners, or sideways along the ceiling. Which do you think is better? I'd really rather not have to get new speakers, and I really like the ability to set my reciever to LARGE surround speakers. I think it makes a big difference.
    Thanks for any input.

2. Grant B

Grant B Producer

I made cavities in the wall and hid my towers behind grills which I made. Sounds great and you don't even know they are there.
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/bbs/...ent/28843.html
    The photos are dark ...but on the 1st one right above and too the right of the scotty dog on the couch...is the speaker
    The speakers are KEF towers
    good luck
    Grant

3. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

4. SteveDinn

SteveDinn Auditioning

5. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    You can also look at www.omnimount.com for ideas. In my bedroom system (I could send you photos if you like) I use one of their products. I have the left and right speaker mounted on the wall. They are about 31 lbs. each.