Mounting l/c/r speakers on wall???

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by SteveW, Jan 18, 2004.

1. SteveW

SteveW Agent

I was considering mounting my front speakers on the wall behind my (soon to be) TV a little above the height the center would be if sitting on top. I was just wondering if this would be a bad thing as far as the sound quality. There are two reasons I am considering this....

-Kids and cats. I am leary of speaker stands with both of these types of critters roaming freely in my house. [​IMG]

-Along with above to get the l/r at ideal height with the center the speaker stands would have to be pretty tall. After reading different posts and the dolby recommended set-up, it appears that ideal placement is all three fronts at an even level (tweeters anyway) and aligned with the front of the screen. On the wall would easily allow this with the exception of being aligned with the screen.

But with the speakers being behind the screen would there be any noticable difference in sound quality especially from the center dialog as there would be if they were parallel with the screen??

Thanks

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Theoretically speaking, speakers don't sound their best when they're up against the wall. Theorectically speaking, there would be reflections off the TV from the center channel. Practically speaking, most of us have to make compromises when integrating a home theater into a living area.

For instance, my speakers aren't exactly against the wall, but closer than they "should" be. One of them is near a door opening, the other near a corner. They are spread further apart than they should be. My center is in a compartment of an entertainment center. All these things are considered to be technically "incorrect," but mandated by decorum, room layout, etc.

So feel free to do what you have to do, Steve, and enjoy your system. [​IMG]

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. SteveW

SteveW Agent

Thanks for the reply. Mounting to the wall isn't my only option. Just the most practical. I'll have to see how it goes once it comes time to get everything set up. Just trying to plan a little in advance.

4. Stephen Weller

Stephen Weller Stunt Coordinator

The center will definitely reflect off the top of the TV.

Here's a wild idea: [rant](The purists are gonna barf!)[/rant] How about crafting an "arm" for each speaker that folds against the wall when not in use? It may then be possible (if not practical) to extend the speakers to (or near) their ideal positions.

I was considering something like this when I hit upon a telescoping, electrically-adjustable speaker stand. I'm still working the kinks out of this one. [​IMG]

5. SteveW

SteveW Agent

That's actually a pretty good idea Stephen. If I had good crafting skills I'd probably try something like that. Of course now that the idea is in my head I'm probably going to be thinking of a way it can be done.

6. John Robert

John Robert Stunt Coordinator

Unless your speaker is specifically designed for it (and many are!), on-wall mounting is a disaster for SQ. Muddy bass, smeared soundstage, NOT GOOD! There are many shot or sand filled speaker stands that are very sturdy. Don't buy good equipment and doom it's performance from the beginning...

John

7. Stephen Weller

Stephen Weller Stunt Coordinator

Always happy to add chaos to the confusion.[​IMG]

Seriously though, start with one (for the center) and keep it simple. Remind yourself that it's a prototype, so don't worry too much about aesthetics yet. And you probably already know *someone* with some skills and basic tools you draw from. Invite them over to watch a show (The Super Bowl is coming up!), force (HA!) a few Buds down their throat, and start picking their brain.

At a craft store you can pick up a decorative, unfinished, hardwood presentation plaque (get a big one). Use this as the base which you'll mount on the wall. Go to the home center and look at gate hinges. Beefier will be better. Stanley has some with Nylon inserts that have little or no slop. The arm is where the most thought needs to go. You need a light-weight, stiff material. Aluminum may be best. The fewer the joints the better. I see *at least* two hinge points - one at the base/wall, and one at the speaker/mount. Worse case, one in the middle. What you're aiming for is a rigid assembly with minimal sag while extended.

Another possibility for the arm is drawer slides. They'll be trickier to mount, and the max extension (I think) is 22 inches, but some are rated for 250 pounds each.

One more thought: When extended, this will be a fairly large mass (speaker) hanging from a lever (articulated arm) mounted on the wall. [rant]BE CERTAIN[/rant] that it's mounted properly and securely.

Good luck. I/we expect pictures!