What's new

Mounting heavy surrounds: stands, shelves, what? (1 Viewer)

Jason_H

Second Unit
A little background, I recently upgraded my surround speakers to JBL S38s. These things are normally meant as bookshelf speakers to use in the front, but I wanted some nice full range speakers for my surrounds since I am planning on using them for a lot of mutlichannel DVD-A and SACD along with films. They match perfectly with the JBL S312s and S-center I have in the front, I am very pleased.
Long story short...these things are HEAVY for surround speakers (about 28 lbs. each). I still have yet to figure out how I'm going to permanently set them up on either side of my sofa (there is a wall direcly behind the sofa). So I guess I have two options, buying some sort of stand or trying to put sturdy shelves jutting out of the wall so I can point them toward the sofa. Any suggestions?

Frank_S

Supporting Actor
Jason, I have my B&W 602S2's mounted on my sidewalls using Omnimount's. These speakers are pretty large and weigh 25 lbs.
You will have to drill holes in the back of your speakers unless they come with pre-existing mounting holes.
You will also have to install the mounts to your wall studs
to support all that weight.
Check out www.omnimount.com for info
There are also many threads relating to this topic in the archives. Perform a search using speaker mounts. Good luck!

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I have my surround speakers on DIY flexy stands I built using 6 foot threaded rods. I made 5 shelves for each stand at 14 X 16" and have my Mini-monitors on the top shelf. This kind of a stand doesn't take up a lot of space on either side of my couch.

Mike_Ped

Second Unit
Well, since you probably DO NOT want to drill holes in those beautiful speakers, I will recommend the Vogels VLB 200 Speaker mount. I have the S38's as my mains, but was contemplating getting some as my rears as well (I went with the wall-mountable S36's instead)so I did a lot of research. These are just about the only ones that work without drilling holes plus they can hold up to 44 lbs. They work by clamping the speaker from the front and back which allow you to mount them horizontal. Go to www.vogels.com and request a brochure from them or search their site. Hope that helps. Good luck!
Mike

Jason_H

Second Unit
First off, thanks to all of you for the information, these seem like some great products/ideas.
Mike, I am very intrigued by the Vogel mounts. Not only does it seem like a great way to do it, they are quite stylish. I wish their website had a bit more content on it. I am curious, do you know of where I can by their products? Does anyone sell them online?

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
I fashioned a pair after Mike Knapps.Only difference,he drilled into his speakers,I put a shelf on the top flange to avoid drilling...works out great.I do have kids to I put a tie down strap around the speaker and shelf to prevent the speaker from falling onto a head...or into a fish tank
------------------

Frank_S

Supporting Actor
The Vogels are nice speaker mounts but I am curious, since you are sandwiching the speaker between 2 metal plates, are'nt the top and bottom surfaces succeptable to scratches?
While I was reluctant to drill holes in the rear of my 602's, I feel comfort in knowing that they will NOT come down in the event of an earthquake. I live in the SF Bay area.
eek.gif

Jason_H

Second Unit
I'm also curious about the clamps...from the way you described it, they clamp the front and back of the speaker. However, in my case I want to mount the speaker facing to the side. Are the clamps adjustable enough that I could widen them to 20" or so and actually have them clamp the sides of the S38s?
Otherwise, I guess I would just have to mount them vertically. Which wouldn't be that bad since they are acting as surrounds. Sub-question, in that case should I mount them tweeter/midrange side up or down?

Drew Eckhardt

Stunt Coordinator
Stands, because placement near hard surfaces (like a wall or shelf) will color the sound, often in offensive ways.

Jason_H

Second Unit
Chris,
This looks a lot like what I need! Do you have a digital camera so I could see what these look like? I am curious because it says it has a width of up to 11.75", my speakers are awfully close to that or maybe a bit over. I'm curious if I could fudge it a bit.

Pete Jennings

Second Unit
I second Chris' suggestion about the B-Tech's. I have used a pair to hold my 601S2's for about a year now. I swear if you screw them into a stud you could just about use them to do pull ups!
wink.gif

I found Crutchfield to have the best price on these (fancy that!), and they are a quality company to deal with.
Good luck with them!
Pete

Brian Corr

Supporting Actor
Pete,
I was thinking of using those brackets on some B&W LCR6's. How much of the bracket is visible when looking on from your seating position?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks