Mounting floorstanders

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ScottAndrew, Apr 1, 2002.

1. ScottAndrew

ScottAndrew Stunt Coordinator

Does anyone know where to buy 10-12" mounts for floorstanders? Or does anyone have a simple DIY WAF-compatible solution? I'd like to get my 31" N38s a little closer to ear level and to the center. All the stands I've seen have small plates for small speakers, so I think a tall, heavy speaker would fall over. The N38s are front-heavy to start with.

I'm also interested in any pros/cons to mounting floorstanders if anyone has any opinions to offer.

Thanks,

Scott

2. Russell _T

Russell _T Supporting Actor

Radio Shack actually carries some stands that are 8" high, but you have to search around their site for them. Mounting floorstanders off the floor however can result in a loss of floor/boundary gain and weaken your mid bass considerably. Easier to tip over too if you you have the same kind of

rambunctious household I have. It's best to have them sit as close to the floor as possible but decoupled from it with feet or carpet spikes.

3. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

It would be better to set them each on a true solid pedestal than a stand. As you said the N38's are front tip prone and require a small wedge underneath to counteract this anyway. While many stands will give a slight rear tip in their design, without a more solid base you will gain nothing except some stability and lose sound quality.

It has been my experience that larger bookshelf's respond well to a solid, elevated platform especially if being raised from carpeting.

4. Mark Starratt

I just bought pedestal type stands with carpet spikes for my front towers. These speakers were extremely prone to being tipped over by the cats/kids. I was concerened about the change in sound when I picked them up, but was pleasantly surprised to find that they now sound clearer than ever. I did have to adjust my sub a little, but these 11" stands were exactly the stability I was looking for. (They look pretty cool too.) This is a rather long URL (these tend to screw up), but here is what I picked up, only in the 11" version:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...806522-8561742