mounting brackets & Paradigm Atoms

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lou Loomis, Nov 9, 2002.

1. Lou Loomis

Lou Loomis Stunt Coordinator

hi.

I'm looking to mount one of my Paradigm Atoms (surround) to the wall. So that it can mount on the back wall and aim toward the listener, I'll be mounting them at 90 degrees (also won't block the rear port).

I know the Premier m-60's are the "official" mounting bracket for the Paradigms. However they don't allow a 90 degree angle, so I can't use them without modifying. Omnimounts however allow the perfect angle and their website recommends the 10.0 for the Atoms, so I picked one up at Radio Shack. The mounting plate matches up perfect to the holes. I notice the holes are not threaded, so "presumably" the screws will "bite" the plastic a bit to make their thread. The omnimount screws are slightly larger than the holes, so they will in fact bite into the plastic. My question - is this normal? Will the screws for the Premier brackets dig into the plastic? While I don't have to drill holes, it just seems like to use screws will slightly change the speakers from like new condition.
    Just a little scared to mar the speakers.

Thanks.

2. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

I was in the same situation about a year ago when I mounted my Atoms with the Premier brackets. I noticed that the screw seemed a bit large for the hole. I called my local dealer, who contacted the Paradigm rep, and I was told (as you stated) the speakers holes are simply not threaded. They said it was perfectly safe to insert the screws that came with the brackets. When I examined the speaker after using the screws, it basically was just a little bump around where the screw enters the speaker. It is noticeable, but when I sold them on Ebay the purchaser did not have any problem with them. If you are concerned about it, I would go to btech-usa.com and check out their brackets. They are of excellent quality, reasonably priced, will be able to offer you the 90 degree angle, and you won't have to put any screws into the back of the Atoms. Just call them up and tell them about the speakers, and they will recommend the right bracket.

3. Lou Loomis

Lou Loomis Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Alan. That's just what I needed to know. I screwed in the Omnimounts successfully.