mounting bass shakers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Elbert Lee, Mar 22, 2002.

1. Elbert Lee

Elbert Lee Supporting Actor

Just got a new couch and need to remount 2 of my Clark Transducers. The frame is underneath the couch and it is a 1.5" in width and 2" deep. It surrounds the entire edge of the couch with one "beam" down the middle. Otherwise, there is absolutely no wooden framing in the center of the couch at all..

I was considering a couple of options

1) 2 narrow particle boards screwed onto the front and rear edge of the frame (one on the left side of the middle beam and one on the right) with the transducers mounted in the middle of the board.

2) Large, wide boards screwed onto the front, rear and center beam with a transducers mounted in the middle of each (The board will have more contact with more frame)

3) Transducers mounted on a diagonally shapped board underneath and on corner of the couch (lease contact with frame)

Basically, I'm just not sure if I should try to use a small mounting board attached to more of the couch frame or less board with less contact. I would think that more contact will produce maximum transduction and a more balanced and realistic effect, but I was also thinking that more particle board material will also "absorb" more of the transducer's effect. Any opinions would be appreciated.

Elbert

2. Alex Bischoff

Alex Bischoff
    Hmm, from reading reviews, it seems like the Clark Transducers need quite a bit of accompaning equipment:

3. Elbert Lee

Elbert Lee Supporting Actor

I got the "voices in butt" problem solved. I never intended to run them full range. I do have Audio Source AMP2 and it was good. I actually used an old REALAISTIC grapphic equalizer for re-eq and adjusting the gain.

Before using the AS AMP2, I used an older Pioneer DD receiver and it was much easier to use. The older Pioneer is stable down to 6ohms (there is a switch on the back) and I find that it provides the right abount of intensity with the bass setting all of the way up and treble turned all the way down.

My preamp's .1 (LFE) is split to my main sub and one to the Pioneer receiver's CD inputs. Therefore, I'm only feeding the Pioneer with LFE or all frequencies below 60hz. There is OCCASSIONAL overlap fur DEEP DEEP Voices like James Earl Jones, etc., but it actually works quite well even feeling them through the transducers.

I ended up using two large boards to mount underneath my new couch with it being attached to the front, rear, and center frame (not the sides). One transducer in the middle of each board. So far, it works quite well....

I just have to wait for my new display and new preamp..

Elbert