Mounting Acoustic Research HC6 system?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Phu Vo, Dec 28, 2001.

1. Phu Vo

Phu Vo Stunt Coordinator

Did a search, and couldn't find any relevant info regarding this. I also looked on the web to see if I could find a picture of the back of these speakers, but no luck. I am helping my brother put a system together and he needs to know the exact cost of all the parts he needs, so cost of mounts are going to be put in the equation. I notice that some of other speakers in the same class as the HC6 have built in mounts, like the Energy Take 5.2's and Klipsch's Quintets, but I haven't found much info on the mounting system used for the Acoustic Reseach HC6. Anyone care to shed some light on this? Maybe post a pic somewhere?

2. JaleelK

JaleelK Second Unit

3. Phu Vo

Phu Vo Stunt Coordinator

Anyone? ^bump^

4. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

I am fairly certain that there is no built in mounting system
    with the HC6's so this leaves you with 3 mounting options.
    A: Wall/Celing Mount Via Screwed In brackets (I wouldn't even
    think about it..)
    B: Wall/Celing mount via non screw type (clamping) brackets.
    C: Stands..
    If It were me. I would get a good pair of stands for the
    fronts and a good pair of clamp type wall/celing brackets
    for the Left and Right Surrounds. You can go to www.crutchfield.com
    and www.partsexpress.com and check out some various mounting
    brackets and stands.
    And I beleive your friend will be VERY happy with the HC6's
    IMHO AR does NOT get the recognition that they deserve..
    The cheape Performance Series AR sells to Best Buy and CC
    do not even begin to compare to the Phantom Series, Hi Res
    Series and the HC6's.

5. Luis Gabriel Gerena

Luis Gabriel Gerena Second Unit

I beg you pardon but the "cheap" performance series as you called them are very good performers so I think you should try them before making such comments...no offense.

6. Jay_E

Jay_E Stunt Coordinator

7. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

Luis,

FYI I have tried every speaker in AR's line and as much as

it sounds offensive to you, The Performance Series "IS"

Cheap. Ever price a pair of AR9's AR5's or AR1's ? There

is no speaker in the Performance Series that is even close.

I own a pair of PS216B's for surrounds (that is performance

series) and while they are not "bad" they sure beat the majority

of bargain speakers found at BB or CC, they are nowhere near

the best that AR offers.

8. Phu Vo

Phu Vo Stunt Coordinator

Ok. Calm down kids. Back to the thread topic [​IMG]..............
    I did a little more research/reading. And although I could not find a picture of the back of these speakers, I did find that there is no built in provision for speaker mounts (according to Crutchfield). These babies were designed to sit on a flat shelf. So, armed with that info, I went out and ordered the HC6's ($450 shipped!) and got two pairs of these brackets. So there you have it! My brother is going to happy as hell. Now all I need to do for him is make sure this deal I got going for a Denon 3801 comes through. I'll let you guys know how things go.

9. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

10. Corey W

Corey W Agent

I just got a Set of those from my Father for Christmas. Now all i gotta do is find a Reciever for them [​IMG] My dad is a pretty big audiophile so this being my first HT setup of my own Im thinking i got some very nice speakers from what everyone is saying.
    Now off to find a reciever. Anyone who has suggestions around the $1000 range feel free to post them.
    Corey W
    PS. Sorry about the thread hijack [​IMG]

11. Luis Gabriel Gerena

Luis Gabriel Gerena Second Unit

Mr DiMichele,

Obviously the Performance Series can't match what the AR1 can do...I mean this is part of the high end line up but that doesn't mean that the Performance Series is bad on its onw league and thats what I wanted to clarify. Is like saying the an SVS is better than a Sony SA-WM40...yes it is but the sony in its own price range its the best. So dont get so angry cause I just wanted to make clear that the PS are some of the best speakers in their price range. Sorry for side stepping the topic...back to our regular programming

Regards

12. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

Luis,
    Ok I will agree with that [​IMG] IMHO AR Rules [​IMG]
    "We now return you to the previously scheduled programming"

13. Phu Vo

Phu Vo Stunt Coordinator

Corey,

So there are no mounting holes for the speakers in the back? Any chance you can take a picture of the back of one of the satellites and post it?

Brett,

The plan is not to fasten those speakers down. They will just sit on top of the speaker platform. Rubber feet will keep the speakers from shifting around. I just hope that an earthquake doesn't knock them down. I would love to use the other brackets you mentioned, I even considered purchasing them, but at $50 a pop (for brackets for crying out loud!), I just can't justify the purchase of 4 of them for over 200 bucks. Too bad. AR seems to have made a fantastic low priced set here, they just forgot to add provisions for wall mounting.

At least now, when someone does a search for these speakers, they will have some relevant setup info thanks to this thread.

14. Corey W

Corey W Agent

Well i just opened up the box a minute ago. Not going to unpack them fully until i set them up which is still going to be a few weeks since i have to buy a reciever as well as re-arrange my basement to put everything into.

The only thing on the back of these speakers is the connectors for the speaker wire. There is nothing else besides that. I would take a picture but my Digicam is also not working currently.

Hope the info helps.

Corey W

15. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

Phu,

Since you are just going to "sit" the speakers on those

brakets and use them like shelves you will miss out on

the neatest feature (that is the ability to aim up and

down). So take this intio consideration when you choose

the mounting height. Keep them at a level that will aim

at the listening spot while seated.

You will be able to pan them side to side, that part won't

be a problem.

Let me know how they sound. The HC6 is the only setup from

AR that I have not yet heard or seen in person. I know from

the pictures I have seen they look gorgeous and at the price

they sell for (even retail) they seem like a great deal.

16. ChaseHanna

ChaseHanna Stunt Coordinator

I was also considering picking up a set of these speakers soon. I was planning on combining them with a Harman Kardon 520 receiver. What do you guys think of this combo? Also, where did you pick up that set at that price? Anyway, I will be interested in how your mounting turns out as I will most likely be mounting them in a similar fashion.

17. Phu Vo

Phu Vo Stunt Coordinator

Corey,

Thanks for the info. That confirms it, no built in mounting provisions for the HC6's.

Brett,

Thanks for the info, I will let you know how everything goes. Keep your eye out for this thread. The speakers are due to arrive on the 9th of this month.

ChaseHanna,

I got them here. I have never dealt with them before. But so far, so good. I ordered it last Friday night, and by Monday, they had shipped the set out and gave me a tracking number already. I would say that that is pretty good service. And, they are actually going for $399 + shipping, so it was about $450 and change shipped.

18. BradZ

BradZ Stunt Coordinator

Corey,

Are the HC6's ported to the rear? Just wondering, because this may also affect where and how you can wall mount them. If so, have you mounted yours yet and what is the ideal distance from the wall to avoid bass reflections from the rear port.

These speakers sound very interesting, but I may have to go with the Energy Take 5.2 system because I need rears that can be wall mounted.

thanks for any info you can provide.

19. Corey W

Corey W Agent

BradZ,

Well i dont know what you mean by ported to the rear since this is my first HT setup (Im 23). Though i have not set mine up yet, its going to be a few weeks as i still need to buy a reciever and also re-arrange my basement to set everything up. My set is still in the Box.

Corey W

20. BradZ

BradZ Stunt Coordinator

Corey,

Is there a hole in the back of the speaker? This is a bass port which some speaker designs have. This port can be used to enhance bass performance of a speaker by placing it closer to a wall. This can be a bad thing however if it's too close to the wall it can result in a boomy sound. Some speakers are sealed and some are ported. Most ported speakers put the port on the back of the speaker which can be bad for wall mounting. These are broad generalizations- I was just wondering if the HC6 are indeed rear ported. Given the lack of mounting options provided by AR I assume that these speakers are rear-ported and thus would not perform as well if wall mounted. If you can verify the location of the bass port it would help me in making a decision. Thanks.