What's new

Mounting a flat-panel LCD over a fireplace--Good idea? (1 Viewer)

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
My sister-in-law to-be is keen to mount her new 50-inch flat panel LCD on the wall above her fireplace in her basement. This fireplace is used only occasionally.

Does anyone have this kind of setup, or have an opinion on whether heat could damage the unit?

--Jefferson Morris

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
This is a popular idea, but most find it makes for uncomfortable viewing over extended periods. I would have her sit in her viewing position and stare at the spot above the fireplace for at least half an hour. If she gets uncomfortable from the high viewing angle she'll be better off placing it lower. Middle of the screen at or slightly above eye level when seated is usually the best.

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
One thing I never understood is, who can concentrate on a TV perched above flickering fire? I say, find the designer who originated this above-the-fireplace configuration and beat them senseless.

Put the TV at eye-level on a shelf or in an inset next to the fireplace. Not over it.

In my opinion.

MC

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Our next door neighbors mounted their plasma TV over their fireplace. We were over there for the Super Bowl last year, and both my wife and my necks hurt after we left from looking up at the TV for 3+ hours. Your display really needs to be at eye level, IMO.

This year, we are having them at our house for the Super Bowl. ;)

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
I don't remember where I heard this, but I think the ideal eyeline height is 1/3 up from the bottom edge of the screen.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Even if you could tilt the TV above the mantel down, you will probably still have the same amount of neck strain.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

I wouldn't bet on that, either. It is just that puttting a TV above a fireplace is a such a bad idea simply in terms of watching the thing that I don't think anyone bothered to address the heat issue. All I know for sure is that heat from a working fireplace, flame or electric, wouldn't do any good for a TV, and I have to assume it could potentially cause great harm over time. (To say nothing of what the inevitable soot from a gas- or wood-burning FP would do to the screen. Then there's the affect on wires, other components that would have to be near-by, etc. and so forth. From a risk/reward standpoint - where even the reward is neck-strain - I couldn't see myself ever trying this.)

Regards,

Joe

virp123

Auditioning
Real Name
vir
Mounting A LCD over fireplace is going to be a attractive way for displaying LCD.

But at the same time keep in mind that heat can decrease the lifespan of the screen.
Heat should not be 100 degrees or more around the display. Generally a mantle or fan system should be in place to help the heat go away from the screen.

Apart from it, viewing angle should be considered. Check out if you can easily move your neck while watching the screen.

Again, you have mentioned that the fireplace is used only occasionally, so i personally dont see any issue with it....

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
linda19798888
Recent bookmarks