Mount ABS Port in Box

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brad_Shifflett, Feb 13, 2001.

1. Brad_Shifflett

Help, I need assistance. I am getting ready to put the ports in my Kit81s. I am a little lost on how to mount the port in the box. It is 4.75" long, 2" Diameter and not flared. It is a straight piece of ABS pipe. How would you get this attach to the wood? I am thinking of using super glue. How well does Super Glue bind plastic to MDF? Any other ideas? Also, another question, how did you put the acoustic stuffing in your box? Loosely around the woofer or wrapped tightly around the woofer and the rest in the bottom chamber?
    ------------------
    "To Buy or Not To Buy, that is the question"
    My Theater |Best Webhost Service
    Brad Shifflett

2. Jeff Rosz

Jeff Rosz Second Unit

just about any adhesive will work but i like 2 part epoxy. very strong stuff. i use the 5 minute cure time stuff. its cheap and any hardware store will have it.
    ------------------
    *why build one when you can build two for twice the price*
    jeff

3. Aaron Plaza

Aaron Plaza Auditioning

Yup, epoxy will hold just about anything. I have also used wood glue, liquid nails, and silicone.
    When box stuffing, I keep the stuffing away from the woofer and try to tease it or fluff it to fill the cavity. If you pack it tightly you negate the effects of stuffing.

4. Steve Peterson

Steve Peterson Stunt Coordinator

If you use Liquid Nails, make sure that you get the plastic compatible version. The standard LN will melt plastic, and you port would look funny all deformed out of shape.
    Steve.
    ------------------