What's new

Mount 6lb speakers from ceiling on drywall only? (1 Viewer)

Trevin Chow

Stunt Coordinator
I need to mount 6 lbs speakers from the ceiling but hte position may be such that there is no ceiling joint to attach the ceiling mount to.

I was thinking of using Omnimount ceiling mounts since they are inexpensive compared to other mounts I"ve seen. However, I'm not sure with this ceiling mount (or any other one for that matter) if it is okay just to attach to the ceiling drywall, and not to a ceiling joist. I may be able to get one of the screws that attaches the mount to the ceiling into a joist but that's all.

I've read the omnimount installation manual on their website, but I think someone just scanned it in on their side, because I can't makeout some of the text. Thus I can't tell if this will be ok or not. Thoughts?

Chuck Schilling

Stunt Coordinator
Trevin,

To be on the safe side, see if you can't get a remodel ceiling fan mount with hangar bracket which "stretches" between studs/joists. If you've got adequate clearance, that'll easily handle the weight of your speaker and at some point in the future you could even install larger/heavier ones.

Failing that, try a remodel light fixture box (they have "ears" which flip out to firmly grasp drywall from behind the board).

Either solution would be far preferable to trying to mount your speaker(s) directly to drywall board.

Oh, and I am using the Omnimounts for mounting my surround speakers - the mounts are very strong and rigid, but also pretty heavy.

Trevin Chow

Stunt Coordinator
Chuck: Thanks!

I'm far from a handyman, and am actually getting a friend to do this for me most likely.

Do you have an example of:

"remodel ceiling fan mount with hangar bracket which "stretches" between studs/joists"

and

"remodel light fixture box"

?

Tim Streagle

Stunt Coordinator
I spent fifteen years working as a sheetrocker. The main problem with suspending weight from the drywall alone is; (1) you can't tell how well the rock was fastened to the ceiling joists in the first place, (2) vibration from a speaker could do bad things to d-wall anchors leading to failure, (3) and banging on the joists when installing new stuff can cause the nails to pop. If your rock was installed with glue and screws your worries are few.

If you can mount under a joist, consider attaching a plywood base between the mount and the sheetrock. As long as you had a couple of goodsize screws through the plwood into the joist, it would support quite a bit. Cut the wood just large enough to do the job, paint the wood white or whatever, then attach the mount. When removed, all you would have to patch would be the screw and wire holes.

If you don't mind working in the attic, try adding reinforcement to the joist. Simply attach (called piggy backing or sistering) extra blocking to the joist in that location. Use screws, not nails, so you don't bang on the joist. Attach the mount to this blocking through the rock with screws.

Hope this helps.

Trevin Chow

Stunt Coordinator
Tim, thanks for the info! Looks like hanging from just the sheetrock isn't going to be what I want to do. There is no attic about the room.. I am just getting someone to fish a wire through my ceiling and out at the points where I will mount the speakers.

Definitely don't want to put plywoof under the mount for cosmetic reasons. Even if I painted it white I think you'd see it.

I guess the easiest way is for me to fasten the ceiling mount to a ceiling joist and have the wire come out of a hole right next to the mount and then attach to the speaker. The wire won't be hidden, but i guess this is the safest way?

Paul_Ptaaty

Stunt Coordinator
Sounds like exactly what I would do. You can add a little plate or grommet or something so the wire doesn't look like crap just coming out of the sheetrock as well.

If you have an attic it would be easier (drill a hole, screw in a 2X4 accoss joints flush with sheetrock where the hole is and install)

John S

Senior HTF Member
I just put a 2x4 across where the speaker needed to go.

Easy enough, of course I am suspending a 30lbs speaker from the cieling, so I knew I had to do something significant up there.

Jai

Agent
6lb speakers aren't that heavy. Go to Lowes and get some heavy duty PLASTIC SCREW sheet rock hangers. Get the ones that look like large plastic screws. They screw and lock in the drywall with their large "cam like" threads and they wont pull out. I use them for hanging very large mirrors and paintings and they have never failed.

Tim Streagle

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, the sheetrock will support 6 lbs., no problem. It is the attachment of the rock to the ceiling joists that is the variable. I have seen drywall ceilings pop nails and joints seperate from the weight of paint! Immobilizing the mount by ensuring it is attached to a structural member is the only way to confidently avoid these problems. Toggle bolts and screw anchors are great for attaching things to walls, but ceilings require more care.

Trevin Chow

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the info guys. Looks like the best way to go is:

1) have the speaker cable run through the ceiling
2) install a wall plate on the ceiling and connect the wire to it
3) Mount the speaker mount to the ceiling joist.
4) connect a piece of wire from the wall/ceiling plate to the speaker which is on the mount.

sound about right?

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
When you run the wire through the sheet rock get a set of
RG6 Cable "Bushings" at Radioshack and drill a 5/16" Hole in
the rock.. This is what the finished hole will look like..

*Edit* or use a wall plate (binding posts) either way
will work well.

Chuck Schilling

Stunt Coordinator
Trevin, sorry I didn't get back to this thread to answer your question sooner. If you're still interested, a "remodel" box is one intended for use in an application where the wall/ceiling boards are already hung. Remodel ceiling fan and ceiling fixture boxes are available at any hardware or home center store and basically are just circular phenolic resin (plastic) boxes. There's nothing special about remodel boxes except they provide an alternate means of attaching when ready access to a wall stud/ceiling joist isn't available.

Jai

Agent
Yes, the sheetrock will support 6 lbs., no problem. It is the attachment of the rock to the ceiling joists that is the variable. I have seen drywall ceilings pop nails and joints seperate from the weight of paint!
You sure that doesn't have something to do with the lumber being green. Most wood these days never fully cures before it makes it to the retailer. Compression and expansion of wet wood is a pain in the butt.

Tim Streagle

Stunt Coordinator
I hope this doesn't get me in trouble for turning this into a construction thread.

Jai- Yes, lumber is often still too wet when installed. However, I believe that improper installation of sheetrock is the number one reason why people have so many problems with walls and ceilings. I was often instructed to do only as much work as necessary to get by. It's sad to say it, but workmanship in the drywall trade is often substandard. Sheetrock hangers are mostly transients and they are notorious for taking shortcuts. Don't take for granted that your walls and ceilings will support weight unless you know for sure how well they were attached.

In my house the rock is glued on every stud/joist and screwed (I built it). I can just about stand on it in the attic, but I still support my speakers by attaching to a structural member.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Tim,

This may come as a suprise but craftsmanship is gone from
the following trades...

Mechanic,Sheet Rock Installer, Carpenter, Electrician, Plumber and so many more...

I don't trust hardly anyone and I do most everything myself
because I don't trust anyone anymore.. I see too many people
get taken advantage of with prices that are astronomical and
work that is sub par...

It's a shame!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks