Moulin Rouge

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Elbert Lee, Nov 30, 2001.

1. Elbert Lee

Elbert Lee Supporting Actor

May 24, 2000

I wasn't a fan of Luhrman's "Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet" , but can appreciate his visceral style of directing and I think it really carries over well in "Moulin Rouge".

I'm a big fan of stage productions and musicals and the one thing that I can say about "Moulin Rouge" is that it is most successful at translating a atage musical onto a 2 dimensional medium. Like a stage production, there are relatively few sets and there is a "prop-like" quality only seen in Tim Burton films. Also, like a stage show, one gets a sense that the background dancers and extras could easily have played multiple roles and functions in this film as well. What the audiences misses from a LIVE performance is made up with the use of visual flair in the camera work, special effects, editing and many of the directorial devices used in music videos.

From the start, one might find the use of such musical excerps from "The Sound of Music" and various music artists such as Air Supply, Billy Joel a bit laughable and ridiculous. However, after about 1/3 of the film, Luhrman is able to dispense with much of the chaotic pace (in the story and music) and successfully condition his audience into accepting the musical narrative and oftimes, somewhat distracting use of non-original music from modern day pop stars like Madonna and Whitney Houston.

The Second half of the film gets into the emotional content of the film and the pace is much more moderate, but a pleasant change from the high-paced start. I personally don't think that I could have kept up with everything that was going on, escpecially with so many colorful, "in-your-face" characters.

The principals, played by Ewan McGregor and Micole Kidman are perfect. I was most impressed with McGregor's playwright and his willingness to bare all of his character's sensitivity. Kidman displays surprising range as a courtesan and both of their voices work very well.

All in all, I really enjoyed this film in the theaters and I have to say the effect is different in an HT system as the screen and audience gets smaller. I actually liked watching this film in a packed theater. Nonetheless, this is a dvd that, unlike many other discs, can be viewed much more than once - if not for the story, the musical sequences are worthwhile, even if you are busy in the kitchen with just the audio soundtrack.

Packaging - Similar to the Fight Club disc except with the back cover cheaply pasted to the box. Easily removable

Same old FOX dvd "get into it" featureing XMEN, ABYSS and Big MOMMA'S HOUSE

Video - Unfortunately, I can't comment on the video quality yet. I've only had a chance to view about 1/2 of it on my non-calibrated 32" Toshiba. Colors are very vivid. Interior shots have a devilish red quality and most of the flesh tones also have a red bias. Exterior shots are very blue, but pleasant and can be visually impressive on a properly set up display.

Audio - Again, not watching this one on my main audio system, but the DTS track sounds exactly like what I thought it would. Most of the sound is in the fronts with very limited use of the surrounds. The fidelity of the rears are not as impressive as some of the more recent DTS titles. DIALOGUE was perfect. I have always felt that some reviewers gave too much credit to loud soundtracks that made heavy use of the surround speakers. I prefer a more subtle use of the surrounds and appreciate more sonic fidelity in the rears. Too often, I have felt that many films have suffered from unintelligable dialogue especially during quiet passages and scenes with a lot of whispering. Not so on Moulin Rouge - everything was clear, even Kidman's high pitched voice and Leguizamo's funky accent come through wonderfully.

Extras - no time. However, I would have like a McGregor ad Kidman commentary. oh well....

Sorry, but I can't disclose information on where I obtained the dvd.
  2. Mark McLeod

Mark McLeod Second Unit

Jan 12, 2000
    Thanks for that review. Now might I enquire how you got a copy so early. I've been driving myself and a friend of mine crazy waiting for this disc.
  3. JasonKZ

JasonKZ Stunt Coordinator

Dec 12, 2000
    Is anyone worried about buying this title and then having them announce the collection of all the titles (perhaps with exlusive availability of a new R+J or Ballroom)??
  4. Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff Cinematographer

Jun 17, 2000
    I can't wait for this disc. Counting the days...[​IMG]
  5. Andrew Walsh

Andrew Walsh Stunt Coordinator

May 9, 2001
    So far, this has been my favorite movie of the year, and one of my all-time faves too. Repeated viewings should only cement that. I want it NOWNOWNOWNOWNOWNOWNOW!
  6. Christine Warren

Sep 19, 2000
    The thing that intrigued me watching this on my TV (a normal 68cm screen) was that I saw things I had missed in my 9 times at the theatre - I think it is because everything was within my immediate field of vision.

Picture and sound were terrific (but I freely admit to not being an expert on such things). I've only used old speakers for my system but the separation was much more noticeable than it was in the theatre.

I have also not had time yet to fully explore the extras but have enjoyed the few that I have had time to check out.

The little green fairy option and the dance scenes I am particularly looking forward to.

The Making of documentary was enjoyable and interesting, but all I could think was what a pity they hadn't done one like the Phantom Menace "making of".

And for those of you who loved Come What May and My Song - just wait until you see the different versions of these.

Enough teasing and tantalising for now but it is nice that for once region 4 gets one in ahead of region 1 - official release date here is December 5.