What's new

Moulin Rouge vs Blair Witch Project (1 Viewer)

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
There was only 1 part from BWP which scared me and that was the end part. We watched the movie in a dark room at night and there was a lightning storm . We laughed up until the end part which was the scariest. In my opinion not a terrific movie

capt

AlexKay

Grip
"To me BWP was the crappiest movie I've ever seen in my life. Even if you didnt like moulin rouge you couldnt say it wasnt the worst movie ever because it wasnt.

BWP was just STUPID!!!!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ruben Zamora"

You thought BWP was crappier than "The Spy Who Shagged Me"? Now that was crappy and downright STUPID!! I'm sure I'll be getting bashed for that comment... But that was dumber than dumber, and did I mention STUPID too?

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
BWP was just STUPID!!!!!!
Strictly your opinion! And am happy your opinion is not a fact! Of course you could qualify your Opinion with why you didn't like it.
Differing opinions is what makes the world go round. If we all had the same opinion the world would be a dull place.:)

Greg O' Connel

Stunt Coordinator
I find that comment snobbish and insulting to anyone whoever liked one of these two film. You are simply taking your own subjective opinion and treating it as fact. It presents a mindset of "Well I know these films stink, so many of the people who like them, only think they like them" Well with all of the recent threads on Moulin Rouge that where loaded with praise, perhaps you could point us out to some of the individuals you think fit your above description.
Read my post again. It started off with:
In My Humble Opinion
It appears that some of you need to learn to read, if you aren't to busy appreciating your crap films to do so.
Now that's a snobbish attitude. ;) :D :)

David Susilo

Screenwriter
My only question to those 'researchers' in BWP. Don't they know how to press the steady-shot button on the camera? No wonder they got lost!

John Beavers

Second Unit
I watched Moulin Rouge with the wife yesterday. She found the film "weird", as she put it, and would have been happy had we not watched the entire film. I decided to forgo inital judgement and watch the whole film with an open mind. In the end, I would have probably been better served had I gone with her initial desire to cease the experience at the beginning.

Why? Simply put, they had a great concept, and blew it. If you're going to do a spoof, do a spoof, make it a comedy. If you're going to do classic Musical tradegy in the vein of Carousel, do that. Mixing the two left me feeling uninvolved in the whole experience. I kept expecting some comic routine to go with the silly modern day love songs, but they kept the serious tone, which made the whole experience, as the wife put it, "weird".

The visuals and sound were spectacular, but the story was a real let down.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
So your opinion of why I enjoyed both BWP and MR is
THE FILMS said:
No different than my new opinion that people that didn't like both films are so slow that they simply "don't get it", another popular insulting opinion we see thrown about around here. :rolleyes
MAYBE I thought they were both great because of the methods they used, the styles brought to the film, the concept put on film....maybe even the narrative itself worked for me.
As for MR being a musical for those who hate musicals. How do you then explain that I love both West Side Story and Singin' in the Rain. Not just as musicals; they are 2 films I love to watch, period. MR and Hedwig are 2 others. The musical portion of Dancer in the Dark was also my favorite aspect of that film as well.
And funniest of all, I didn't find either MR or BWP to be STRANGE at all. I didn't see a moment that was unusual in terms of what they were doing (cinematically). Cripes, Muholland Drive is strange, not MR. MR is actually mainstream in many ways being much more a product of classic H'wood.
When a film comes out and establishes key motifs, central themes, and the style in which it will be delivered, and then sticks to those things, I find the film to be good. If the script, dialog, acting are there too then the film becomes great.
BWP was supposed to be raw, non-acted, confused, so the filmmaking methods worked well in serving that end. Therefore to me the style felt extremely consistent and in line with what the proposed story (found footage) said it should be. Whether the concept works for you or not can vary, but that it wasn't true to what it was trying to be seems like unfair criticism.

Ricky Hustle

Supporting Actor
Well stated, Seth.

To put it more bluntly...

Greg, quit being a jerk and save the attacks for the newsgroups.

That, of course, IMOHO.

Marvin Richardson

Supporting Actor
Greg post Seth, even if I don't personally agree that MR is a good movie. But at least I didn't insinuate that someone who liked it was either a follower or trying to prove they weren't stupid.

And Greg, I can say that "IMHO" someone is an idiot, but that doesn't make it any less rude or uncalled for. Stick to your opinions of the movie and not people.

DonRaphael

Auditioning
I totally agree with John Beavers.

I was unable to watch Moulin Rouge to the end. "Mixing modern day silly love songs" while totally ignoring the story and characters of the Moulin Rouge of 1900 ended up with a long, boring, silly movie. Bearing little or no resemblance to the way it was, the movie should have been given a different title. Then I would not have been sucked in by the Hollywood hype to buy it.

The original Moulin Rouge movie of around 30 years ago(?) was brilliant, exploring all of the famous characters of the Impressionist Period. This movie did not have the excellent video and sound of the current Moulin Rouge, but did have one thing that MR does not, a good interesting story.

By the way I like musicals. Hollywood has put out many excellent films of this genre. "Moulin Rouge" is not one of them!

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
Moulin Rouge is, essentially, a remake of Luhrmann's production of La Boheme which was staged in Australia in the early 1990s (before Strictly Ballroom) with, unfortunately, all the silliness of that Opera's plot (but without the beautiful music to compensate). Visually stunning but, to me, trite and forced. I prefer films which have well rounded and thought out scripts and this film simply just didn't have one. It's the same complaint I had with Titanic (and for that matter Blair Witch Project). If those films had a decent script I would have enjoyed them a hell of a lot more than I did. As it was, I was simply unable to forgive its flaws as those flaws could have been so easily rectified.

Julie K

Screenwriter
I didn't like BWP. I was put off by the whole idea that the audience should be scared just because three stupid kids keep repeating "fuck" a gazillion times. Nor did I find the concept very new - Cannibal Holocaust had already covered that ground. I am very tolerant of low budget films usually but BWP just left me cold.

MR sounds completely not my sort of thing. The idea of modern music in a different time doesn't bother me (hey, I'm probably the only person who actually enjoyed the Alan Parsons Project score in Ladyhawke) but nothing about it really draws me into it.

Brian_J

Second Unit
IMHO, the one thing that Moulin Rouge and Blair Witch have in common is the "emperor has no clothes" factor. Unique films like these two seem to attract a few people who think that they must be great, artistically brilliant films because they're so strange. Then the stragglers come along and agree, not wishing to make themselves look like they don't have the intelligence to appreciate "brilliant art".
Now that is funny! And no I am not offended even though I liked MR.

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks