What's new

Moulin Rouge vol2, not entirely what was promised (1 Viewer)

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
'Tis with a heavy heart I have to report the second CD release of Moulin Rouge music is frankly, a bit of a let down.
Originally when this release was first in the planning stages, we were set to get a good deal more then what we're now sadly left with, most notably more cues of Craig Armstrong's score. Something must have gone wrong along the way since there's little contribution of his works here.
So what IS good? Well, what's here is pretty good, the real sad thing is just what is still missing, but before I get back to that rant, the good stuff; Spectacular Spectacular is here along with the superior film version of Come What May and of course, we finally get Like a Virgin. It should be said, whilst the latter two are "essentialy" film versions, the vocal tracks sound like they are from a different recording. McGregor's vocal pitch on Come What May here on the CD in comparison to that of the film reveal differences.
"Bolero" the End Titles is also here, billed as the film version but I actually think there are some minor edits here and there. It's still good nevertheless. The ever excellent The Show Must go On is also on offer.
So what bugs me... it's a 42 minute CD, five minutes of which are wasted on a somewhat pointless re-mix of 'One day I'll Fly Away.' Are they going to milk us with a 3rd CD or leave us with this? Either option doesn't fill me with joy I must admit.
It's worth getting. As I say, the majority of what is here is good material, but we're still not very close to getting what we could call a complete Moulin Rouge soundtrack/score release. I'm going to have to get a hold of Craig Armstrong's promo CD showcasing his Rouge score and a couple of songs ("A fool to believe" is on there) if I want to get even closer to a more complete soundtrack.
Moulin Rouge vol 2 (track list):
01) Your Song - Instrumental from 'The Rehearsal Montage'
02) Sparkling Diamonds - Film Version
03) One Day I'll Fly Away - Re-mix
04) Spectacular, Spectacular - Film Version
05) Come What May - Film Version*
06) Like a Virgin - Film Version*
07) Meet me in the Red Room
08) Your Song - Instrumental from the 'After the storm' scene
09) The Show Must go on - Film Version
10) Ascension/Nature Boy
11) Closing Credits*
* = sort of :)
Dan

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Are they going to milk us with a 3rd CD or leave us with this? Either option doesn't fill me with joy I must admit.
After picking up the second CD the other day & rewatching the film last night, my wife & I both suspect a third CD sometime... There's still a lot of music in the film that's not on either CD.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
There's a MR promo CD of mostly Armstrong's stuff I have seen on Ebay...I wanted to get it, but $761, $355, and even $185 are a little out of my range for a CD :eek:
I enjoyed the second CD, most for the Come What May, End Credits, and Spectacular Spectacular!
I do want more, though.
Still happy,
Chuck

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Chuck, I know people with the promo who'll friggin give me a copy, f**k eBay ( :D ), you're literally not meant to pay a penny for such promotional items. I'll post here in music whenever I get round to editing a 2 (maybe 3) CD version using stuff off the two cds and Armstrong's promo (which in itself is about 40mins), as I know some here may like to have it too.
The end of 'The Show Must Go On' continues to send chills down my spine every time I hear it within the movie and now on the CD, the big rousing brass ending underscored by the synth beats.
Dan

Harrison Shinn

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Harrison Shinn
I'm not entirely thrilled also. Right from the start there are ommissions. For SPARKLING DIAMONDS it says that it's the ORIGINAL FILM VERSION, but it edits the DIAMONDS ARE A GIRL'S BEST FRIEND intro. I agree that the remix of ONE DAY is pointless too. Also, SPECTACULAR, SPECTACULAR has bit or two edited out (when they draw the curtain closed behind Ewan and turn the lights on him). Also, where on earth is NATURE BOY with John Leguizamo's vocal? David Bowie's version utilises the same orchestration, but I prefer Leguizamo's version since he follows the melody whereas Bowie deviates from it. They should have just gone ahead and included the whole opening sequence. Quite possibly they couldn't due to rights issues.
It's nice, but it could've been much better.:confused:
Cheers,
Harry

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Leguizamo's vocal of Nature Boy is a most wanted track for me too, that along with Kidman's reprise of Come What May. Craig Armstrong's score promo has Nature Boy on it, but I THINK it is the Bowie vocal, I will check.

Dan

Brian E

Screenwriter
I got this disc and like it a lot, but I too want more. I think we'll eventually see either another disc or some kind of special release set with all of the music from the movie.

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
Oh how I want that Craig Armstrong promo... Maybe I could bribe one of the sellers on eBay. How about something like "Send me that promo for free, or else I'll report you." :D :crazy:

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Michael, it's really not that great a promo. I'm getting it for a few select cues of score that are not available. The promo's tracklisting is as follows:

01) Satine's Theme

02) Nature Boy

03) The Duke's Plan

04) One Day I'll Fly Away

05) Your Song (instrumental)

06) El Tango De Roxanne

07) Satine and Christian's Theme

08) Your Song (Instrumental#2)

09) A Fool To Believe

10) Come What May

11) Death Scene

12) Nature Boy (Instrumental)

13) Satine Theme 2

Now, Nature Boy, One Day I'll Fly Away, El Tango De Roxanne and Come what May are IDENTICAL to the ones on the first commercial album release. Even Nature Boy retains the damn Bowie vocal. The two instrumental renditions of Your Song are on the second commercial album release.

This leaves six tracks not available commercialy, most notably Kidman's song 'A Fool to Believe.' We can up the count to seven if we consider the Death Scene cue (billed as "Ascension / Nature Boy on the 2nd CD), as this on the new album release is edited. The promo version is over a minute longer and retains Leguizamo's vocal for two lines as it does in the film.

Dan

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
That's interesting... I'm sure the guy who payed $700+ for it must be a little disappointed. :)
Are you sure about the "El Tango De Roxanne" track being identical to the one from the first soundtrack CD? One of the sellers on eBay has it listed as the "Extended Version", but maybe that's also the way it was listed on the first soundtrack.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
I think the one on the first album is extended. If you still want the promo, heck shoot me an a-mail. :)
Dan

Jakob_S

Stunt Coordinator
I read a thread some weeks ago saying that a score album of "MR!" would arive in stores soon. But what do I see now? A freaking "Vol. 2 Pop Album" - Darn, I feel like I'm going to explode
smiley_bomb.gif

So what's the deal? Is there a small hope for a "Score album" or is this it?

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Dan- I'd love a copy of that promo!
As far as Vol. 2 is concerned, I like it although it's not a fantastic CD. I'm certain that "Bolero" is NOT the same as it was in the film, and there are several other omissions. Still, it's certainly entertaining enough for Moulin Rouge freaks, and I'd recommend it.

Brian E

Screenwriter
I just saw a copy of the promo go for $800 on eBay!!!! I'd like one, but not for a price like that.

SkiingNinja

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean Ries
You guys might want to kill me for asking this... (please wait until you've answered, thank you :)
My mom loved the movie and the music...which CD is the 'one to get' or are they both the one to get (and still left wanting judging from the comments in this thread)
Thanks all..
Sean

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Sean, Volume 2 is perhaps better representation of the music closer to as it was heard in the film, however not getting vol1 as well denies you Your Song, the Elephant Love Medley and El Tango De La Roxanne. You really need both.

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks