What's new

Moulin Rouge: Super-35? (1 Viewer)

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
I believe that in the end credits it has the Panavision logo, indicating it was shot anamorphic 2.35:1. If it was Super35, it would have said "Panavision cameras and lenses."
The IMDB also says that MR is anamorphic.
Link Removed

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
If it was Super35, it would have said "Panavision cameras and lenses."
i don't know about the specifics of MR (one should also consider the possibility that multiple cameras and lenses were used), but the Panavision credit at the end of films is often incorrect.
DJ

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Anamorphic and Panavision are not necessarily synonymous. Panavision supplies MANY kinds of cameras and lenses

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
Anamorphic and Panavision are not necessarily synonymous. Panavision supplies MANY kinds of cameras and lenses
i think what Richard was getting at was that for films shot anamorphically with Panavision equipment, the end credits should read: "filmed in Panavision." for films shot flat with Panavision equipment, the end credits should read: "filmed with Panavision cameras & lenses."

DJ

John J Nelson

Stunt Coordinator
The elliptical out-of-focus highlights and horizontal lens flares would suggest that MR was shot in Panavision, or some other anamorphic lens process.

-- J.

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
i think what Richard was getting at was that for films shot anamorphically with Panavision equipment, the end credits should read: "filmed in Panavision." for films shot flat with Panavision equipment, the end credits should read: "filmed with Panavision cameras & lenses."
Although that still isn't always accurate. I've seen many anamorphic origin films that still have the "Filmed with" credit. And even some films with the "filmed in Panavision" credit aren't even anamorphic origin (the flat 1.85:1 "Bridges of Maidson County" is one)!!

I know "Moulin Rouge" was shot with anamorphic lenses, though if I'm not mistaken, some visual effects sequences were shot in Super 35! Now if I just could remember what Moulin Rouge thread that was mentioned in....

Jason

GerardoHP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerardo Paron
The "Filmed in Panavision" logo is even used on some 4:3 material like Seinfeld!

"Filmed in Panavision" should mean the film was shot with anamorphic lenses. "Filmed with Panavision Cameras and Lenses" should mean it was shot with spherical lenses even if the release print is anamorphic, as with Super 35. But often these credits are not used this way.

Some mostly anamorphic films like MR contain shots filmed flat (i.e., with spherical lenses) in Super 35, Vistavision and other 65mm photography which is used to preserve high resolution in special effects shots and to facilitate computer work. For instance, most of the special effects shots in CONTACT, which was an anamorphically-shot scope film, were produced in Vistavision, then cropped for the 2.40:1 frame.

I would imagine such is the case with MR as well, but as you can easily see (and was stated here before) the lens flares and other distortions that are visible in MR come from the use of anamorphic optics.

Jonathan Burk

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Burk
The Spectacular Spectacular number has what looks like anamorphic distorting on some shots where they change focus.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks