Moulin Rouge & Romeo and Juliet?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Todd McF, Dec 14, 2001.

1. Todd McF

Todd McF Second Unit

I am buy Moulin Rouge as a gift for my wife and I was wondering if I should pick up Romeo and Juliet as well (sight unseen for both of us). We loved Moulin Rouge, so will we love R&J? Same director right? Just as musical?

I also heard of a R&J SE. Is that released yet?

2. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    Todd,

Tough question. MR is unquestionably my favorite movie of the year (although the year isn't over yet), and I loved R&J. It was incredible in every way! But I believe there will be a SE soon, although I cannot prove that. And some people REALLY didn't like the new R&J. But if you liked MR...by the by, R&J is not a musical...it is a movie version of the play. On the surface, it seems MTV, but if you dig just a little deeper...it's pure Shakespeare!

Take care,

Chuck

P.S. I advise checking it out, at the very least. You might want to wait for the SE to buy.

3. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

There is SE material form the glorious laserdisc edition of Romeo and Juliet that should be put to good use for a DVD SE. I can drool here just thinking about an anemoprhic R&J transfer.

The feel of the movie for me took some getting used to. Sometimes the editing and framing just threw me now and then, but I admire the movie a lot and it carries fine performances and an excellent soundtrack.

I'd say wait to see if an SE DVD comes, I swear I've heard it's coming. Looking at Luhrmann's dedication to the Moulin Rouge DVD, it'd be criminial not to re-vist R&J. So hold out a little while if you can.

Dan (UK)

4. Peter Staddon

Peter Staddon Stunt Coordinator

If it were me I might hold out for a little while on the R&J purchase[​IMG]
    Thanks for your interest,
    Peter Staddon

5. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

When you say "R&J", y'all are NOT referring to this classic one from Paramount, which is the only version my wife loves (adores, etc...the most expensive bare-bones release we've bought...full MSRP of $30!!):
    [​IMG]
    Instead, since you say "We loved Moulin Rouge, so will we love R&J? http://us.imdb.com/Name?Luhrmann,+Baz
    What Peter is slyly referring to is perhaps
    not a rumored special edition, but that on January 8, 2002 the R+J DVD that has been out will get marked down to an SRP of $19.98. Street price of about $15 in most places. You can verify this at the Amazon listing, which is where the link on the box art above will take you.
    Moreover, as you will see on that page, Amazon has a deal right now where you can buy both Moulin Rouge and Romeo + Juliet together now, for just $35.47! I suppose each will be delivered on their "street dates" (well, R+J could be delivered sooner if Amazon wanted to; it HAS been on the street since 5/25/99 after all! But I'm sure Amazon can't ship it at the advertised price until 1/8 and still get Fox's price protection on the markdown.).
    For the record, the "In Production Special Editions Page", which I've found to be pretty good (better than I expected, actually), make no mention of a Romeo + Juliet SE as being in-the-works. But I'm sure Peter Staddon knows more than that do! [​IMG]

6. Joel C

Joel C Screenwriter

Well, considering there is an ad on the MR DVD for a new SE of R+J (hee hee), I'd say the work on a special edition has moved past the rumor stage.

7. Brad_W

Brad_W Screenwriter

First:

8. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

9. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    I loved the '96 R+J. One of my favorite movies my freshmen year of college. I think I'll add this to my wishlist. It was very powerful for me.

10. MichaelPe

MichaelPe Screenwriter

Personally, I preferred Moulin Rouge more than Romeo & Juliet. However, both films are among my favorites.

11. Roy Batty

Roy Batty Second Unit

Jose M Mendez
    Don't ask me where did I find this, because I spend the whole time copying and pasting info to pass along to my friends, but here's what I know:
    ROMEO AND JULIET:
    DD 5.1
    Anamorphic
    2 disc Edition
    Audio commentary by Baz Luhrman, Catherine Martin, Craig Pearce & Donald McAlpine
    DIRECTORS GALLERY:
    IMPACT (4:00);
    WHY SHAKESPEARE? (2:41);
    PITCHING SHAKESPEARE (9:31);
    GAS STATION (6:37);
    POOL SCENE (4:58);
    TYBALTS EXECUTION (4:02)
    CINEMATOGRAPHERS GALLERY:
    THE FISHTANK (1:20);
    THE ELEVATOR (2:12)
    A HOLE IN THE WALL (:41)
    ONE LIGHT (1:00)
    THE CHURCH (:53)
    OPERATOR (1:09)
    DESIGN GALLERY INTERVIEWS:
    CO-WRITER CRAIG PEARCE (1:40)
    COSTUME DESIGNER KIM BARRET" (1:56)
    EDITOR JILL BILCOCK (1:41)
    CHOREOGRAPHER JOHN CHA CHA OCONNELL (1:04)
    LEONARDO DiCAPRIO (1:41)
    CLAIRE DANES (2:15)
    JOHN LEGUIZAMO (1:40)
    TWO MUSIC VIDEOS:
    YOUNG HEARTS (4:07)
    KISSING YOU (4:10)
    TV SPOTS
    THEATRICAL TRAILER
    STILLS GALLERY
    It seems Special enough to me.[​IMG]

12. Angsty

Angsty Stunt Coordinator

The Red Carpet box set (3 titles) is tentativley due March 2002 from Baz. It will include Moulin Rouge, R+J (SE) and Strictly Ballroom (my fav). I suspect you will also be able to buy R+J and Striclty Ballroom as single titles too. (Which makes sense if you have already bought MR )
    Ang [​IMG]

13. JasonKZ

JasonKZ Stunt Coordinator

Thanks VERY much to the two of you for the last two posts - that is some info I have been looking EVERYWHERE for. I can't wait for those two additional SEs to come out!!

14. Jakob_S

Jakob_S Stunt Coordinator

I love Moulin Rouge as well as Romeo & Juliet. The theme of impossible love is seen in both movies, but each movie has their own style. I love the idea that Romeo & Juliet takes place in the present, but the dialog is in the original old shakespeare language. If you don't like it the first time you see it - give it a try and see it once more. If you then don't like, give it on more try - I'll tell you Baz Lurhman's "Romeo & Juliet" is a brilliant piece of art!
    And by the way, I have the R2/R4 version and it simply rocks! The transfer of the picture and the sound is, if not pure reference quality, at least extremely close to!!!
    ----------------------
    SPECIFICATIONS:
    Romeo & Juliet (R2/R4)
    Anamorphic Widescreen 2:35:1
    Dolby Digital 5.1
    Xtras: Trailer
    Animated Menues
    ---------------------
    GRADES FROM "0" TO "5"
    The Movie: 5
    Picture quality: 4,5
    Sound: 5
    Xtras: 1
    Over All: 4
    ---------------------
    CONCLUSION:
    I am very happy with my R2/R4 version (which by the way is VERY cheap both in Europe and in Australia). I don't care about xtras in a movie like Romeo & Juliet, which absoulutely speaks for itself - that's why I have no intention of buying the SE-version, when it arrives. The R2/R4 version is highly recommended!