What's new

Moulin Rouge Review Up At DVD File (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
The full review of the 2 disc SE of Moulin Rouge is up at www.dvdfile.com ,check it out.
Happily, they say it looks and sounds spectacular wih tons of great supplements. And yes, it as a DTS soundtrack.
The reviewer, Peter Bracke I believe, didn't love the film, but says it's a great disc all around, however he lists the running time at a "scant" 97 minutes, which is incorrect. The film runs 126 minutes.
Moulin Rouge is currently my second favorite film of the year, (after A.I. Artificial Intelligence) and also one of my most anticipated DVD's.
Can't wait for December 18.:)

JasonKZ

Stunt Coordinator
They also mention a trailer on the DVD for the Red Curtain Trilogy (Romeo+Juliet:SE, Strictly Ballroom, and Moulin) but we haven't heard anything about this - does anyone know if the trailer gives a date/ details?

Joel C

Screenwriter
I e-mailed him about the time mistake, but the site is notorious for not admitting errors, so we'll see.

John O

Stunt Coordinator
In what has been a lackluster year (IMO)this movie has been moving up the list. I hope to see this title under the tree.

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
The running time has been changed, the "scant" 97 minute reference dropped and my confidence that the reviewer actually even bothered to watch this film through on DVD almost nonexistent.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
I was able to get the disc Yeaterday so I haven't gone through all of the supplement yet.
The Costume and design section has mostly pictures and a couple short interviews. It takes a long time to go through al The pictures.
The mention to the box set is just a trailer without a date.
Nice packaging.. very "right" for the movie.
watch out for the green fairy:)
It has full multiangle dances including the CAn CAn and 2 other.
Brent
I got lucky getting it now .. $30 Canadian taxes included ...

Andrew Walsh

Stunt Coordinator
Pray, good sir, how did thee come into possession of said disc? Please, make with the details. I can't wait until the 19th.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
I don't normally like musicals, but this was so different. One of the best films of last year.

The DVD looks and sound wonderful - packaging is perfectly in tone with the film, a lot like Fight Club, as are the menus.

This films needed a great transfer, and as far as I can tell, it got one. DTS sounds great.

A lot of the extra features, whilst interesting, are too short in length. Interviews with the stars are 3-4 minutes long for example - I don't understand why they don't just put these all together and make a documentary out of them.

If you like the film though, you'll love this disc, and I would recommend the film to anyone who hasn't seen it yet. Don't be put off if you don't like musicals.

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
I am also Psyched! I love this movie very very much and am dissapointed I won't be able to watch it in my film class. It'll be a week too late! Doh, Doh! DOH!

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
Peter; I think you did a nice job seperating your opinion of the flick with the review at hand. Normally guys who don't like a movie write incredibly short DVD reviews and brush it asid. Nice job, great review, great flick (IMO ;) )

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Says you!
I always liked that comeback. ;) (we will let you slide on not liking MR...this time :p))
Hmmm, maybe I should check with my favorite vendor and see if I can get a look at this disc early. My g/f can barely contain herself in anticipation, and so far this film is in my top 2 along with Memento so I'm pretty excited about getting it as well.
I agree on putting all those mini-features into one long feature thing. CONTENT, not BULLETS, that's the key to supplements.
Looks like Peter came through and brought us DTS as promised. KICK ASS!

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
I have to say I am more impressed with the extra features now I have had a chance to go through them - the amount of work that went into preparing these is obvious, and disc 2 shows all of this. The HBO doc is quite good but the short interviews with the actor repeats a lot of this.

Obviously for this film, there are excellent features on the music and dance routines, especially the "Tango/Roxanne" sequence, which was may favourite moment of the film, but I was hoping for a bit more input from Kidman and McGregor, and some of the other actors.

That said, the important thing is the sound and picture, and I can't fault that.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
I'll tell you this, I was more than a little surpised to get the discs this early.

There are 2 not very well hidden easter eggs I've found so far.

Sound in DTS is quite if a tad bit forward(speakers?).

Picture is quite strong, natural fleshtones, the scenes in the hall are quite vibrant. I didn't notice any edge enhancement.

I was more impressed with this movie on the small screen. if only because the first 20 minutes don't overpower you.

The suppossed actors bio page is, as stated, pretty much useless. A short interview talking more about the movie than themselves.

I like it so much, I may watch it again tonight

Brent L

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I. Can't. Wait.

to get this DVD.

I'm ordering everyone out of the house so I can blare this one. (My TV goes up to eleven.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks