Moulin Rouge Release Dates

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Alistair Paterson, Nov 14, 2001.

1. Alistair Paterson

Why is Moulin Rouge being released in Australia 2 weeks before it is being released in America?
    The release date for Moulin Rouge on R1 is the 18th December (according to play247.com) and the release date for Moulin Rouge on R4 is the 5th December (according to Ezydvd.com.au)
    Is there going to be any difrences between these versions and which one to you reccomend I buy?
    Cheers,
    AliP.

2. Hendrik

Hendrik Supporting Actor

...perhaps the facts that the Director is Australian, the leading lady is(was?) Australian, most of the cast (singers, dancers, extras) and crew (DoP, production designer, costume designer, make-up persons, lighting crew, etc. and so forth) very likely is Australian, and the film was made entirely in Australia ... as I started out to say, in my usual long-winded way, perhaps these facts have something to do with the DVD of the movie being released in Australia first?...
    . . . [​IMG] . . .

3. Alistair Paterson

Ok a bit of a stupid question.... One learns from his mistakes!
    Now that we have cleared up why its being released in the land of Oz first is there any reason for me holding out for the Region 1 release ?

4. Hendrik

Hendrik Supporting Actor

...ahh... well... this being a musical, you must take into consideration the 'Chipmunk Effect' inherent in PAL transfers (lots of music and singing in this movie!!!) ... but don't forget the 'Judder Effect' that NTSC transfers are saddled with (lots of pans and sweeps following the dancers in this movie!!!)...
    ...one just can't win, can one?!...
    . . . [​IMG] . . .

5. Alistair Paterson

Chipmunk Effect?
    Judder Effect?
    Excuse my ignorance but what are you tripping on about ? [​IMG]
    And i take it from the response that there would be no reason to wait for the Region 1 release?

6. Hendrik

Hendrik Supporting Actor

Alistair... where have you been all these years?... don't tell me you have never heard the pros and cons of the PAL vs. NTSC controversy?...
    . . . [​IMG] . . .
    [Edited last by Hendrik on November 14, 2001 at 09:54 AM]

7. Hendrik

Hendrik Supporting Actor

...this is what I wrote in another thread, last August:
    ...PAL runs at 25fps (movies shown in theaters run at 24fps) hence the c.4% speed-up (picture and sound)...
    AFAIK there's no way around this, it's just a 'fact of life' (one, BTW, that a few hundred million people around the world have been happily living with for the past 50-odd years!)... wouldn't worry about it too much...
    ...if you want to get 'technical', take a look here:
    http://www.digieffects.com/frames/transferfilmtovideo/filmtovideo.html#ShootingSuper35 . . .

8. Alistair Paterson

Thanks Hendrik,
    I now know what your tripping on about. [​IMG]
    I was aware of the speed-up issues related to pal and the resolution issues related NTSC. I however have never heared of it being refered to as the 'Chipmunk' or 'Judder' effect.
    Do you think there will be any diffrence between the features contained on the disks ?
    Also thanks for the links, I didnt know the exact maths involved but I do know. [​IMG]
    [Edited last by Alistair Paterson on November 14, 2001 at 11:27 AM]

9. Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor Supporting Actor

The R4 version of Moulin Rouge has the same special features as the R1 version, down to the DTS track. However, the DVD has NO subtitles at all (which means it is a R4 dedicated DVD and not R2/4). There is, however, a video commentary for the visually impaired.

10. Mikael Soderholm

Mikael Soderholm Supporting Actor

Mikael Söderholm