Moulin Rouge - Do I have a bad disc?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeremy Anderson, Dec 19, 2001.

1. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

We sat down to watch Moulin Rouge tonight on the Panny RV-31, and 4 times during the movie, the screen pixelated and the sound dropped out. The shortest length of time it did this was 4 seconds, but at the climax of the movie (during Come What May) the screen pixelated so that Ewan McGregor's face was split horizontally into 3 sections, and this lasted for a full 10 seconds before it started playing again... but when it starts playing again, the counter is 30 seconds further along (meaning I missed 30 seconds of that final song). The disc was clean and doesn't appear to be damaged in any way... and it does it in the same 4 places every time.

Is anyone else experiencing anything like this (especially on this player or other Panasonics), or did I just get a bum disc?

2. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

I think you got a bad disc, I just got "Ever After" and could not access any of the menu features, everytime I tried to select something from the menu it would just freeze up. I exchanged it and everything is ok, some discs are just defective.

3. Owen Allaway

Owen Allaway Auditioning

I got a defective disc, too. Some short pixelation during Chapter 21 on mine (played on an Xbox). Cleaning didn't help, but there were no skipping or sound problems, so it wasn't a huge problem. Annoyingly, though, I'm off to the airport in a few hours and so I can't exchange it until next year.

4. John Stone

John Stone Supporting Actor

My second disk is defective. The DVD was properly seated on the hub when I opened it, but when I removed the disc and examined it I found dozens and dozens of scratches. The only other time that has happened to me was with Get Carter.

5. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

Well, mine doesn't appear to have any visible scratches or defects... but it sure as hell is annoying to miss 30-second chunks of the movie like that.

Despite the defective disc, I really didn't like the movie anyway and will probably never watch it again, so I'm hoping I can talk the B&M I bought it from into letting me exchange it for something else.

6. Derek Miner

Derek Miner Screenwriter

7. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

I too have a small but noticeable scratch on Disc 1, and both were seated properly, however the disc plays flawlessly.

I think the people who package these were not very careful with their handling.

8. Gary_E

Gary_E Second Unit

Disc one in my copy was loose as well but played perfectly in my Tosh 5109.

-Gary