moulin rouge... 1-disc version same as first disc on 2-disc version?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by jeff lam, Feb 6, 2003.

1. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    I enjoyed this movie and have been looking to pick it up for some time now. I noticed it got rereleased in a 1-disc version. Is this the same as the first disc in the 2-disc version? Now is there any reason to buy the 2-disc instead if I don't really care about the extras?

2. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

The two-disc set has some great extras that normally don't end up on DVD.

1. The uncut dance sequences are one of the best reasons. The film uses cut-down versions and the supplementary disc lets you see how much work really went into the dance numbers.

2. You get a very cool promotional montage that shows how Moulin Rouge was promoted in the media outside of theatrical trailers and TV spots. Everything from Entertainment Tonight clips to magazine covers.

But if you rather just own the film...the single disc release will do you.

3. Ray H

Ray H Producer

Ray
    If you only want the movie, by all means, get the single disc version.

BTW, the single disc has better cover art.[​IMG]

4. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

I had the same question about the single disc, which I picked up for a song. Sounds like a keeper...

5. Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk Screenwriter

I wound up getting the 2-disc set recently since it's getting a little more scarce, and I don't regret it all. I think the packaging is great. I actually never intended to get it as I am not a fan of musicals, but re-reading Ron's review sold me, and it was worth it. It's a nice DVD. Plus, since the single disc appears to have the DTS track, I was concerned the picture quality might suffer from the DTS and special features being crammed onto one disc.

Unless I'm mistaken, the single disc is the same as the one in the Red Curtain three pack, since the other two movies in that set have also been recently re-released with newer art. Can anyone confirm this?

6. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor

I've got the trilogy same 2 disc just part of the trilogy set I really enjoyed all 3 of his movies.

7. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    I really enjoyed moulin rouge, but i dont watch extras much.... I wouldn't have minded getting the single disk rather than paying for the dual disc set.

If its anything like the fight club single-disc, then any people who dont watch extras should pick up, coz in the case of FIGHT CLUB, the single disc cost way less than the dual-disc.

Buuut.. my mom paid for it, so its okay (she enjoys it too.. [​IMG])

8. Michael D. Bunting

Michael D. Bunting Screenwriter

Michael
    I wonder if the DTS track on this single-disc release will also feature the notorious "lip-synch" issues that plagued the DTS track on the original 2 disc edition...

Hopefully Fox fixed this problem on the new release - if they did - I'll buy it just to replace my current one.

9. Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk Screenwriter

For what it's worth, I watched it with the DTS track on the 2 disc version, and I did not notice a lip sync issue. Of course, I wasn't looking for it, but there ya go.