1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Motorola GMRS Radios

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by jeff peterson, Oct 3, 2002.

1. jeff peterson

jeff peterson Supporting Actor

Any deals on these new 5 mile range radios? Are the Motorola models the best? If so, the T5820 or the T6250 models?

2. TonyTone

TonyTone Supporting Actor

Are the Motos the best GMRS radios period--no. Are they pretty good consumer-grade radios--probably, especially considering that they come with a few bells and whistles although you may get a few arguments from the Cobra and Uniden fans. I have a Cobra PR1100WX myself--not the best-performing ones but at $99 for the pair including dual-desktop charger, it does the job.
    You may want to check out gmrsweb.com or popularwireless.com for more opinions.[​IMG]

3. John Macri

John Macri Stunt Coordinator

Just traded up to the 6250s from 6220s. I haven't had the opportunity to do much testing but in the city the range isn't much different even on the GMRS channels. If you really want 5 mile range you'll need to go to a 2 watt model with a better antenna. But they really eat batteries in the 2 watt mode.

Personally I like the 6250's size and features (vibra-alert, privacy mode, etc.) They're also rugged. I dropped a 6220 on cement without a scratch..