1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Motorola GMRS Radios

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by jeff peterson, Oct 3, 2002.

1. jeff peterson

jeff peterson Supporting Actor

Any deals on these new 5 mile range radios? Are the Motorola models the best? If so, the T5820 or the T6250 models?

2. TonyTone

TonyTone Supporting Actor

Are the Motos the best GMRS radios period--no. Are they pretty good consumer-grade radios--probably, especially considering that they come with a few bells and whistles although you may get a few arguments from the Cobra and Uniden fans. I have a Cobra PR1100WX myself--not the best-performing ones but at $99 for the pair including dual-desktop charger, it does the job.
    You may want to check out gmrsweb.com or popularwireless.com for more opinions.[​IMG]

3. John Macri

John Macri Stunt Coordinator

Just traded up to the 6250s from 6220s. I haven't had the opportunity to do much testing but in the city the range isn't much different even on the GMRS channels. If you really want 5 mile range you'll need to go to a 2 watt model with a better antenna. But they really eat batteries in the 2 watt mode.

Personally I like the 6250's size and features (vibra-alert, privacy mode, etc.) They're also rugged. I dropped a 6220 on cement without a scratch..