What's new

Motorola digital cable box/5.1 Digital sound advice and help (1 Viewer)

HomerSampson

Auditioning
Hello folks. I have the Kenwood VR615 Receiver. I also have the Motorola Digital Cable box. Within its options (cable box) it has the option to either output a 'Surround' signal for use with a Stereo receiver, which does sounds nice. It also allows to output a 'Digital Surround' signal for use with a Digital receiver by means of connecting to the SPDIF (AC-3) connection of the receiver.

In the 'Surround' mode the sound from all 5 speakers and my custom sub is on par. Now with the 'Digital' sound mode, only the left and right speakers are playing, and shows it on the receiver. Also the sound is quite noticeably low because of the 'stereo like' sound outputting.

Is there something I am doing wrong? I am using nothing other than a standard audio/video cable from the SPDIF connection of the Cable box, into the connection of the 'Digital in' video 2 coaxial connection of the receiver and the receiver does get the 'Digital' input because the indicator is lit up. Please if you can help, please reply.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
From the title of your thread, it sounds like you're expecting 5.1 sound through the digitial connection. But most channels do not broadcast in 5.1, and even those that do provide it only for certain programs. Most Dolby Digital sound on cable TV is basic stereo (or "2.0"), and it sounds like that's what you're receiving. Your receiver should be able to process the DD 2.0 signal through ProLogic (or some similar setting) to give you surround sound. But I'm not familiar with that model, so it's possible that it lacks that capability.

The "surround" signal is probably a converted PCM output (converted, that is, from the Dolby Digital). Such signals are typically at a higher level than DD, for reasons that are more complicated than I suspect you want to hear about right now. But the difference in level that you're experiencing is normal.

M.

P.S. I'm editing your title to include a reference to the cable box and moving this to Audio/Video Sources.

Mathew Shelby

Second Unit
The digital mode is for the channels over 100 like HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, etc. This will allow 5.1 surround sound if the show allows for it. The way I have my cable box hooked up is optical for regular television and digital coax for the digital channels.

HomerSampson

Auditioning
ok great. When I play those channels, I can get the digital sound and yes ofcourse it is significantly lower in volume. And also I think it still shows sound from left and right on the receiver but i am getting full sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks