What's new

Motorola Devour or Droid II? (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
My dad went to Verizon last week for an Android phone and they sold him a Motorola Devour (it's really solid, they told him. A great phone. No problems.). I advised him to go back and take at the Droid II; it will be running the latest software and should get updates the next year or two. The Devour, however is end-of-life, sold running very outdated software.

I'm not steering my dad wrong am I? If the Devour is in fact some amazing 1.6 phone that's easier to use and better than the current Droid X / II / Incredible I'll let him know to stay with it.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
You're completely correct. Perhaps they're trying to clear their dead stock of Devour's. Droid 2 is definitely a better choice if he wants a keyboard, but the Incredible is a better phone if it doesn't matter. If size isn't an issue, get the Droid X. I'd go for the Droid X myself -- after having the Evo, the Incredible looked tiny to me.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Thanks. I think he wants a keyboard -- dad's been using Treo's and then BB's for years.

He's within the 30-day return period. I'll tell him to take a look at the Droid 2.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Wow, I just looked at the specs of the Devour (the only thing I knew about the phone was that it went from debut to EOL in a shockingly scant 5 months). It sucks! The screen is just teeny tiny, but on the whole it doesn't look any smaller than the Droid 2 because there's so much phone/bezel surrounding it.

It's running 1.6 with slim chance of any upgrades while the Droid 2 ships with 2.2. This is really a no brainer.

I feel bad for the people who got suckered in to purchasing the Devour.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Thx. I emailed my dad and told him to return it and get an X or II or Incredible. Don't know if it's worth the $199 it will cost, but I hope he listens to me. I think that would be a much better phone.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Dad upgraded to the Incredible. So far he likes it a lot but he's getting used to it. Pleasantly surprised by flashlight app and fm tuner. Said he has to watch the battery life.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks