Motorola DCT5100

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Andy Polo, Jul 27, 2003.

1. Andy Polo

Andy Polo Stunt Coordinator

I was wondering if there is any place where I can buy this box. My cable company is offering to sell it to me for their HDTV service for 400 bucks. And Motorolas site is pretty insane, in that I can't find anywhere to buy this.

2. Garrett Adams

Garrett Adams Supporting Actor

I've read that the Motorola boxes will eventually be available for sale to end users. Up to now Motorola's customer has been the cable operators themselves, and I haven't read whether retail sales will open up to other retail channels. Fortunately for me Comcast rents the DCT5100 for an additional $5.00 per month which I think is quite reasonable.

Be aware that the Motorola DCT6208 HDTV/SD PVR should be available before year end. When that happens the DCT5100 will pale in comparison (think 56k modem vs. broadband). [​IMG]

3. Andy Polo

Do you think that the Motorola DCT6208 will be compatable with the 5100?

4. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor

The box's typically have to be issued by the cable company due to the box being encoded for there service and what is available in your area, also I would see if you can rent the box from your cable company as if you buy it and it breaks it comes out of your pocket not theres where if you're leasing the box then they're responsible for replacing/fixing it, if it fails. One last thing yes the Motorola 6000 series are out and some companys are starting to offer them but as of yet I have not heard of a single american cable operator offering these box's yet. Most like Comcast will not offer the 6000 series since they are going full steam ahead with Video On Demand eliminating the need for an expensive PVR unit.

5. Garrett Adams

Garrett Adams Supporting Actor

6. Andy Polo

So if I buy a Motorola 5100 from say an on-line store, then it won't work with my cable at home? Has anyone else had to purchase their box from the company? Like I said, they are charging 400 bucks for the box and then 6 bucks per month for the local channels in HDTV like ABC, CBS, and FOX and then 11 bucks for HDNet Movies and Espn HD and Discovery HD.

7. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor

who's your cable company??? as much as I hate to say this if they're gonna ask you to purchase the box you'd probably be better off getting dish or directv

8. kevitra

kevitra Second Unit

"Better off with Dish or DTV.."

Well, it depends on what you want. Personally, I want all of my local channels via cable. I have an antenna, but reception is hit-or-miss depending on the day.

With DTV/Dish, you get HDNet + HDNet Movies, ESPN, Showtime, PPV. This requires a ~$500 HD recevier.

With my Comcast I get NBC, ABC, Fox, WTTW, ESPN, HBO, and hopefully soon CBS and WGN (hopefully). The HD box is $5/month here, but even at $400 it is cheaper than D*.

The locals are much more valuable to me than HDNet. What is important to you?

9. Andy Polo

Well, the local channels are important but as of right now my cable company, BuckeyeCable System, Located in Toledo, Ohio, is only offering CBS and FOX. So with FOX's crappy HD service I'm paying 6 bucks a month for CBS. Not to mention the 400 bucks for a cable box that I'm sure will be obsolete in a couple of months anyway.

10. Dan Stone

Dan Stone Stunt Coordinator

11. Dan Stone

12. Mike_T_

Mike_T_ Stunt Coordinator

This is all very interesting. I live in Omaha, NE and they just started to offer the DCT5100 for $500. The 6000 series sounds like it will be twice the machine the 5100 is. I wonder what price tag willbe attached? Most important to me, is will the HDTV reception be improved?

13. Dan Stone

Mike_T_,

I'm curious as to why you would buy the box for $500.00 rather than simply rent it for a few months and then upgrade when the new boxes are available? What is the monthly charge to rent the box in Omaha? Even if the rental fee is $15.00 (which is *very* steep), it will take you almost three years to break even. During that time I can easily see several revisions to the Motorola boxes (DVI, HDCP, improved deinterlacing, etc.) besides simply the PVR/VOD upgrade and I would hate to spend that kind of money for a box that becomes outdated fairly quickly. I'm wondering if I'm missing something in your reasoning?

Thanks,

Dan

14. Matt Weldy

Matt Weldy Second Unit

I live in Indianapolis, comcast tells me here that they are a test market. Why then are they not testing this box.

15. Mike_T_

Dan, great point. As of now, I'm not sure if they make you buy the box, cheaper, and then rent it. Some cable companies from what I understand, make you buy it for like, $400 and then pay a small monthly fee afterwards. I'll have to check into it..

16. Robert A. Willis Jr.

Robert A. Willis Jr. Second Unit

Cox in SE Virginia doesn't rent the unit. A person will have to buy it from local vender. If it also had an OTA receiver, it would be a pretty good deal. However.....

17. Mike_T_

I talked to them and they said because the boxes are so expensive, it's difficult for them to rent out to customers because no ones going to pay much for them each month, and in time they'll be obsolete and Cox would be out some cash.
    Makes sense to me..

18. Dan Stone

Thanks for the update.

It's unfortunate that you will be unable to rent the box from them. In that case I would say you really don't have an option but to buy it from Cox. I suspect you will find very few sources for legal boxes other than your local cable company.

Be especially aware of buying one of these boxes from an individual to make sure that it is not a stolen or illegally modified box.

19. Mike_T_

"Be aware that the Motorola DCT6208 HDTV/SD PVR should be available before year end. "

Any idea what this would cost? I mean, it can't be the same price as the current box at around $500 if it does so much more. I'm wondering if the High Def picture would be improved over the current box? I would assume no...

20. Dan Stone

No idea what the 6208 will cost, but I would strongly suspect that the price of the 5100 will go down after the 6208 is released. If you can stand the wait, I think you'll be rewarded with either a better product for a similar price and/or a cost savings.