What's new

Motorola box has weak DD signal? (1 Viewer)

Chad F.

Agent
I'm not sure if this is the case, but when veiwing my HD channels I usaully get a 5.1 DD signal.
The main problem is that the volume is very low, I usaully have to turn up my receiver to aroun -35 or -30, instead of the -45 which I watch normal DPLII channels thru. I have an HK 230 hooked up through optical to my Motorola Dual tuner hd dvr box.
The second problem is that the commercials have a very inconsistent volume going up and down with each commercial.
The last problem is that, only with NBC, the DD signal is displayed on my AVR but sound only comes out of the left and right mains.
I have Insight and locally they know as much about their products as the local greeter at Wal-mart. They don't believe anything is wrong, and when I had my DVR issue you guys were able to help me clear that up and tell Insight what the problem was, since they didn't know and would only replace the box. Thanks for any suggestions, they are always very helpful.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Use the "dialog normalization" or "dynamic range" control on your reciever. Probably you're getting exactly the signal they're sending. I know that commercials are all recorded at different volumes, with different degrees of level compression, so that's normal. Annoying as heck, but the phenomenon is observed with commercials on NTSC as well, so it's normal. And are you sure that NBC isn't simply broadcasting in 2.0? All DTV uses Dolby Digital audio, but it can be mono as easily as 5.1, or 2.0, or 3.1, or anything else.

John_RO

Stunt Coordinator
DD is usually quieter than other formats. Turn it up if you have to. Bad news about NBC...I'm only getting 2.0 also here in Atlanta. Don't know what the problem is but I called the local affiliate and they said thy would "look into it."

Chad F.

Agent
Well if they are anything like my local affiliate, they don't care, or know what DD is. As for it being quieter I understand but for DVD movies in DD I run my AVR at -25 and -25 on the boxs DD is still much queiter than that. I just hate pushing my AVR to make up for a quiet signal. I'm sure there is someway to boost the signal, if I had HD thru an antenna I'm sure it would be louder. Thanks for the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks