Motorola 6208

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Bryan J, May 7, 2004.

1. Bryan J

Bryan J Auditioning

I'm an Insight Communications subscriber who is hopefully entering into the PVR world. They offer the Motorola 6208 (80GB HD, DVI) for $13/month on top of the digital cable fee. Do you think I should jump on this or are there better options out there for the money? Anyone know if the ports are active for output to a computer via firewire etc?

Thanks!

peace,
    bryan

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    It depends on what you are looking for. If want something that you set up like a VCR (timer based) to record when you want, then most cable company DVRs fit the bill. If you want name based recording (tell the DVR the shows you like and it records them when they are on) then you need something Tivo or Replay.

-Robert

3. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

Why would Dish network's actions matter? This is Motorola / Insight cable. People with 62xx boxes have reported working firewire. Also cable companies signed agreements requiring that they provide firewire-equipped boxes.

4. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    They didn't remove a key feature of their high end receiver to save a dollar or two. Firewire does not have digital copy protection like HDMI interfaces. I wouldn't be surprised if there had been some outside pressure to remove it.

-Robert

5. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

Not true. Firewire supports the "DTCP" encryption method, aka "5C".

And like I stated before, Motorola does have working firewire on their 62xx boxes. People are already using it to record to D-VHS & PC. What Dish did doesn't really give you good basis to know what Motorola is doing.

There are no outside pressures to remove Firewire; content providers have signed off on the method. Cable companies signed an agreement with the FCC that included provisions requiring that they provide boxes with the interface.

6. Cindy V

Cindy V Agent

Jump on it. Supposidly, it can record HD material. I have 3 replays and one TIVO/DVD player and when a 6208 comes available in the Chicagoland area, I awill be all over Comcast to get it.

7. Matt Weldy

Matt Weldy Second Unit

so for someone who has comcast and does not yet have the 6208 yet. How do you transfer or copy to a computer via the firewire?

8. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

There is a big thread on firewire for Motorola 62xx boxes over at www.avsforum.com in the "HDTV recorders" section.

9. DanielKennedy

DanielKennedy Auditioning

Hi Bryan

check out broadband(dot)motorola(dot)com

there is a lot of info on the box and it's features.
    sorry I cant post the url's as a newbe

Seeya,
    Daniel

10. marc

marc Stunt Coordinator

Hey Cindy,

Let me know when it is in your area. I am in the northern subs and it is not yet. Not time frame.

Marc

11. Cindy V

Cindy V Agent

Marc,

I found out on the AVS forum that someone from the northern suburbs and Vernon Hills got a 6208 by calling comcast and threatening to get satellite instead if they could not get a 6208. I tried today and sure enough the first person said they will not be available until November. I mentioned that I could get HD DVR with satellite and I was not willing to wait until November especially since I had heard that others in the area had them already.

Sure enough, I was connected to the retention dept and they are setting me up with one (only one per household until they are officially released). A supervisor will call me tomorrow to set up a time to come to the house and install. They just put the codes for my area into the computer this week and left one out. That is why I could not get a date today.

Try it, you will be pleasently surprised.

Cindy

12. Matt Weldy

Matt Weldy Second Unit

I tried also but unfortunalty it didnt work for me. I'll try another day and another time to see if I can get someone else to give in.

13. Cindy V

Cindy V Agent

It could be that it has not been activated in your area. I lucked out as they were coding the program into the computer right before I called.

Wait a month or 2 and try it again.

Cindy