motorola 6200 cable box

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Rick J, Jan 16, 2004.

1. Rick J

Rick J Stunt Coordinator

Just wondering...

My cable just informed me that they got the new Motorola 6200 box in and said I could be put on the list to receive one. So I certainly said yes, and they are coming to install it on Monday 1/19. I thought I read that these were not supposed to be available until qtr 1, 2 or June, or something. I'm wondering if anyone else has received info that their cable company has these available or maybe you already have one. I'm in the Madison, WI area with Charter Communications. Other thoughts? Rick

2. Andy Goldstein

Andy Goldstein Stunt Coordinator

been running the 6200 for a few months. cox cable in williamsburg, VA. now i want the one with the hd/dvr in it!

ag.

3. Rick J

Rick J Stunt Coordinator

Andy
    Did you have a box prior to the 6200? If so was it the 5100? If you did have a box before, have you noticed an improvement in the picture qualities (analog, digital, or hd)? Any positives or negatives you've noticed? Thanks, Rick

4. Andy Goldstein

Andy Goldstein Stunt Coordinator

we have 5 of the 5100s in the house. plus the 6200. the 6200 is feeding the rptv, and the 5100s are feeding a wide assortment of tvs from 13 to 27" tubes. the pq is fair to excellent on the analog channels. all boxes. depends on the source, i guess. sometimes wonderful, sometimes i watch tv on a 13 incher, cause the 53 looks so bad. but the pq on the 53 when on an HD feed is amazing! although sometimes they compress the signal too much and it gets blocky in the shadows and during fade in/out scene changes. overall id say the 6200 is a bit better than the 5100. waiting for the one with built-in dvr.

ag.

5. Thomas Brown

Thomas Brown Extra

I've been using the DCT-6200 for several months now. I'm using the component video connection to my Hitachi HDTV and the optical audio out for Dolby Digital. The HD channels are spectacular in clarity but dark(er) and there is very little programming on them. What there is seems to be repeated too. Cox includes INHD 1&2 in their package but I've had sporatic sync problems with those two channels. I didn't opt for any premium channels so I don't get much content in Dolby Digital format, only some movies on Encore. The (non HD) digital channels using my TV's 3:2 pulldown for film is very close to DVD quality. The analog channels suck though. Analog signals through the component output flicker in a slow stobe effect. This is most noticable on the lower channels up to CH 20. I complained and Cox brought me another box with the same results. Their technician said I should switch to composite or S-video cables which, to me, defeats the whole purpose of having an HD converter if you can't use progressive scan component outputs. The box has several other features that aren't activated like DVI and IEEE connections. Not sure if they are actually wired or just have no supporting firmware. In general I'm not real happy with the DCT-6200. Maybe I will be as more analog network broadcast channels are added to the HD digital line up.