Motorized Door

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by PierreAC, Mar 10, 2004.

1. PierreAC

PierreAC Auditioning

Hello all,

Some of you may have had a similar situation, and with all the very talented people here, am sure someone will be able to assist in this quite simple project.

My TV stand door drops down, I want to motorize it, up and down, and set it up on some sort of I/R remote.

Pic can be found here ...

members.rogers.com/htnut/images/Stand.JPG

I was thinking a motor mounted on the top right corner.

Maybe a plastic track or something of the sort...something formed like a ladder, and a small gear on end of motor shaft to move it, just trying to figure start and stop limitations...

I have a few ideas on what to do, but brainstorming always creates interesting ways of attacking a problem....

Thanks in advance for all your ideas and suggestions
    [​IMG]

2. Shawn Keeler

Shawn Keeler Stunt Coordinator

I am in the process of motorizing the sub cabinet door on the theater at our store. It will hold two Treo Engineering 18"s. I am using a linear actuator with a limit switch. You can get these from www.selectproducts.com . Not very hard to use if you are good with wiring and knowledge of relays. Hope that helps.
    Shawn

3. Aaron Howell

Aaron Howell Stunt Coordinator

I'm at work right now, so I can't post a lot. But search for linear actuators, limit switches, proximity sensors. There are cheaper ways I'm sure, but over built mechanical devices are my specialty. [​IMG] Browse through McMaster.com. This stuff gets really expesive really quick.

I'm assuming you're having trouble with your remote working with the door closed?

If that is the case you could possibly change out the wood backer on the door with something like plexiglass, then cover it with grill cloth.

4. Aaron Howell

Aaron Howell Stunt Coordinator

Shawn, I'm in the process of doing something similar. Do you have any pictures of yours? I have some basic cad drawings of mine, but that's about it.

I'm figuring out a way to do it cheaply for the DIY community. Kind of a reference design for others that want to try it.

5. PierreAC

PierreAC Auditioning

No actually no problems with the remote, the door is a wood frame and covered with cloth so the remote passes right through no problem. Besides, the TV has a TheatreLink connection that piggy backs the IR from other devices through the tv out the back and to the device in question.

I just want it motorized and remoted so I can do a macro on my remote to open door, start everything on correct input etc etc etc and the door well, it'll just be so kewl if it was motorized, come on, I shouldn't have to explain anymore [​IMG]

I will check out the suggestions, they look very promising.

Aaron, I agree, if u'r going to do it, do it right.
    No wimpy stuff, over-engineer the heck out of it I say [​IMG]