What's new

Motorcyclist clocked at 205 mph (1 Viewer)

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
Wabasha is just 33 miles south of where I live - it's where the Grumpy Old Men films were set. It's pretty wide open there, for a while, and then it's hills and curves again. Quite a bit of traffic this weekend also.

The other fascinating thing is that there was a State Patrol plane around - I didn't know they came this far south.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
How accurate are those timed speedchecks by plane? Aren't they dependent on how accurate the person stops his/her watch, especially since motorcyclists are probably fairly small too, especially at a high rate of speed.

Jay

Lee L

Supporting Actor
Yeah, waybe he was going the low low speed of 175. ;) I get your point though.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
The story stated he was riding a "Honda 1000."

Well, there have been many Honda streetbikes released at that displacement (including the original, 1975 GoldWing touring bike).

So, I would assume he was riding the current CBR1000RR sportbike (an inline, liquid-cooled, DOHC, 24-valve Four). Before clicking on the link, I was betting to myself that he was riding a Suzuki Hyabusa.

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
Nothing new with motorcycles. A friend had turboed 1200cc bike, with 250hp to the backwheel it was something I was scared to drive. I drive 600hp car myself but the bike just freaked me out when I was flooring it.

Another guy here at work was clocked doing almost 100mph on 35 mph zone, pulling a wheelie the whole time. Cop was pissed off when he didn't pull over, said that he couldn't see him because his mirrors were pointing down. He used to race bikes in his youth (not street race but real racing).

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
Well even a stock Hayabusa wont do 200..in fact it takes quite abit of tweakage to get it to do 200,at the least youd have to bore out the engine and add turbo kit.

You could probably easily get that ticket dropped in court.

I got pulled over doing 105 in a 70..I was actually doing closer to 115 though, my digital speedo read 125.

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
I can pretty much guarantee if you went over to some sportbike forums now and looked for this topic that everyone is calling it bullshit.
200mph is VERY difficult to hit and furthermore nobody is stupid enough to even try for 200 on a regular stretch of road.

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter

R32 Nissan Skyline GT-R. Stock it has only 320hp but it has been mildly modified (mildly in GT-R terms).

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member

Agreed. 200mph is VERY hard to break with the aerodynamics of a bike. Every year people try on the salt flats to make the registry, which I think is/was at 30 or so people last time I read anything about it.

i remember reading about a modified R1 that made it, but it was built for that purpose and probably not streetable.

Seth_L

Screenwriter
Supposedly a stock 1300 'busa will get to about 180'ish. A turbo 'busa can get over 200MPH.

I can only presume the Honduh would need a turbo as well.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Sami-
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif
How's it holding up, reliability-wise? If something goes wrong do you see a certain mechanic that knows Skylines or you do it yourself? Just curious, I've always wanted one myself.

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
I'm getting the work done with a certain mechanic and myself. Getting someone do the work isn't the problem, getting parts shipped from Japan or Australia is as it takes time. That is why I wouldn't even consider using it as a daily driver but reliability isn't a problem. Relatively of course for a 600hp car, it still isn't corolla or sentra that rolls 100k miles with a simple oil change every now and then.

Chris Derby

Second Unit
At least one magazine reported that they clocked a bone stock (pre-top-speed-limited) Hayabusa @ 200mph. I think said they did 198.something on their first pass.

I'll see if I can find the article.

The Hayabusa has (relatively) good aerodynamics (for a bike). That's why it's so effin' ugly.

I've done 199 indicated on an R1 before the rev limiter cut in. I think we figured that was 176-ish.

Cameron Wright

Stunt Coordinator
He said it would cost up to $25,000 in modifications to reach that speed on a $9,000 bike.

lol ok no.

Busa Plus 15lbs of boost..

Top speed = You will die....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks