Motorcycle Price Negotiation? Need help!

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Leroy, Feb 26, 2004.

1. Leroy

Leroy Second Unit

I'm thinking about buying a new Suzuki Marauder 800. The MSRP is $5999. How much haggle room is there with motorcycles? Is it a similar percentage as cars/trucks?

I've already been approved for finanncing through Suzuki and have insurance lined up, but I'd still like to knock off a couple of hundered dollars off the price.

I have a couple of negotiating points, one being the color (I really wanted blue, but all they have is black) and also the fact that I don't need the bike and can walk away from the deal.

2. Chris Derby

Chris Derby Second Unit

if you only want a couple hundred off, tell them. If they don't do it, walk. They should be able to do that with no problem.

I can't give you any specifics for the Marauder, but i can give you an example of the sv650/650s.

sv650 is $5899 retail, $4995 dealer cost
    sv650s is $6299 retail, $5327 dealer cost.

Hope this helps.

Happy hunting!

3. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

Yeah, it pretty much works the same as dealing on a car except the pressure isn't nearly as high. They will try to sell you extended warranties and service contracts, just like any car dealer. Beware of excessive "setup fee".

They like to charge for installing the handlebars and whatever it takes to get the bike ready after taking it out of the crate.

4. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Don't worry about the setup fee. Try haggling I guess. I haven't bought a m/c new in many years when I did it was already discounted $900 off MSRP. This is a good time of year to buy.

5. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

I bought a Vulcan 800, MSRP of $5999 for $5699 + an extra three year warranty. So I paid under sticker and five years of unlimited mileage warranty.

If the dealer tries to charge you a "set-up fee". Just walk out there..You don't want to do business with them EVER.

But if you haggle too much, they'll remember your cheap butt and your bike will get serviced by the greenest guy they have in the shop. After all the other bikes are done of course.

And oh boy am I gonna use those unlimied warranty miles this summer.... Niagra Falls, NYC, Leonardo NJ (Gotta see the Quick-Stop), Columbus, Atlanta, plus a weekend trip to Sharron PA just for the chicken wings at The Quaker Steak & Lube.

Next year I wanna ride the remainder of Route 66.

PS. The Marauder is an excellent bike, Except for the seat. Save your money to buy a good aftermarket seat. (Corbin or Mustang are good brands).

6. Eric Kahn

Eric Kahn Guest

If you do a search on cycletrader.com, you will find the Honda east of toledo Ohio is selling new 800 Marauders for $5150 and they do not charge any so-called "fees", that is the price before taxes, I almost bought a Suzuki 1500 Intruder from them, but found my "cheap" harley and bought it

you can use that as a negotiating point, not sure if it will help you

several dealers in Texas are advertising new 2003 Marauders for $5199 on cycletrader.com

7. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

A set-up fee is not objectionable IMO. It should be about $100-200. This involves their mechanics uncrating the bike, bolting on stuff that needs bolting on (to proper torque specs), putting fluids in like oil and radiator fluid, etc. They also have to ride it a mile in most states. About a mechanic hour of work, maybe less. When I say don't worry about it I mean pay it and don't worry. I've never heard of a bike shop that doesn't have such a fee, and I would be suspicious of a place that doesn't charge one. I want to know that the bike's not going to fall apart as I ride down the road because the dealer skimped on this.

The marauder is a nice looking torture device. Have you ridden one yet? I test rode one once (it really is a damn pretty bike) and my ass is still aching years later from the 20 minute ride. Worst seat I've ever ridden (and I've test driven Sportsters!) and a very awkward riding position. Are you sure you don't like the Kawasaki Vulcan 800? Much more comfortable and just as good looking IMO (the Drifter 800 is downright beautiful).

At least take the advice above and budget in a new seat. I would avoid Corbin, their stuff is more for looks than comfort (I've got one boxed up in my garage, the OEM seat is much more comfortable on my bike). Take a look at Travelcade, Mustang, Sargent.

Also, remember that bike shops don't make much money, they're not like car dealers. Almost all bike shop owners are in it because they love motorcycling, very few people ever got rich from the business. It's worth the few hundres dollars to have a good relationship with your shop or your dealer.

8. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

I disagree on this. The purchase price of a new motorcycle should guarantee a running machine (If you buy a used bike "as is", you get what you get). You are not expected to pay and extra $100-$200 just to have the engine installed in your new car, why should you pay extra for work the dealer is required to perform?

Assembly, set-up, and a thourogh inspection of eqipment is legally required and is assumed to be the dealers responsibilty, for which the dealer is compensated when the bike is purchased. An additional charge is nothing less than a scam and a good indication that you should not be dealing with these people. Take your money elsewhere.

9. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I suspect you're going to have to scratch off a majority of dealers from your shopping list then, because they're going to charge it.

They don't get compensated by the manufacturer for this, and they need a competent mechanic to spend an hour or so doing it. Where's the problem?

10. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

Unless times have changed there shouldn't be a "set-up fee". I bought a brand new 1992 Kawasaki Ninja 250 with 0.0 miles on it. When I actually received the bike it had 2.2 due to the test driving but I bought it right off the showroom floor. [​IMG] There was no setup fee involved and the only thing it lacked at the time was gas in the tank. Awesome bike with a top speed of 115 (went that fast in AZ only because the conditions were safe and perfect for it).

11. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Granted: This may be a brand-specific practice (This is my first "New" bike), but I kept the original copy of the receipt AND the 'assembly, preperation, & test' report that lists every item required by the dealer. The AP&T mentions AP&T must be completed before purchase by customer and/or warranty claims.

Furthermore the itemised bill of sale has no mention anywhere of a "set-up" fee, nor should I expect there to be since I paid for a working motorcycle, not a box o' parts.

Furthermore, I contacted consumer relations (Kawasaki Motor Corp, USA (949) 460-5688). Just to be sure the dealer wasn't really desperate to get rid of this bke and didn't charge me. The Kawasaki CR rep assured me that no authorized Kawasaki dealer should be charging a 'set-up' or assembly fee, and any proof of such dealings could lead to a loss of distribution of Kawasaki products.

BUT I've never had another "new" bike by another manufacturer. I'll admit that there could be cases of legitimate set-up fees, but I won't believe it until I see it on company letterhead.

Now if you'll excuse me, I must wash my Vulcan because the temperature is supposed to be a balmy 45 degrees tomorrow and I must find the battery charger. [​IMG]