What's new

Motorcycle owners, some questions... (1 Viewer)

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
I've been interested in buying a street bike. Since college, I've always had my eye on Harley's. This will be my first bike, I want to go cheap, but new.

For the record, I grew up riding dirt bikes and 3-wheelers (before they were banned), so I have experience. Of course I'll take the motorcycle safety program and buy appropriate riding gear.

Anyway, I'm interested in a basic Sportster 883 model. It's got classic lines, and an upright riding position. I realize HD's aren't very advanced, but I've just had the urge to own American Iron :) Plus the older technology might be easier for me to work on. It can also be modded a number of different ways. The number of aftermarket parts for this model is HUGE. Oh, and at 50+ mpg, it would make a nice spring/summer commuter. :emoji_thumbsup:

They don't seem to be expensive at under $6K. What other bikes are there to consider? I'm looking to have one by next summer, so I'm in no rush. I want to give myself plenty of time for research (which I have done a fair bit of on the Sportster), and to get my license. Also, is there still a waiting period to get one or can I buy one of the showroom floor now? It seems since the mid 90's, HD dealers have sprouted up everywhere.

Thanks!

Mike D.

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
Price and availability will probably vary by region, unless the market has chilled with the current economy. I was considering a Sportster a few years ago and my experience was that in the Dallas area most Harleys had a mark up of a few thousand, depending on base price, however I heard if you went to a dealership away from larger cities you could get the bikes for MSRP. At the time, '99 early 2000, lots of people still had extra cash and were buying bikes like mad. I haven't shopped at all for a few years so I don't know if the market has changed.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
If owning "American iron" is that important to you, why not consider Polaris's Victory line of V-Twin-powered machines? Better, more modern technology and better (according to magazine tests) handling. And it's as "American" as anything coming from that Milwaukee company.

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
If owning "American iron" is that important to you, why not consider Polaris's Victory line of V-Twin-powered machines?
I could think of 13,699 reasons ;) If Victory or Indian made something comparable to the Sportster (in style and price), I'd surely consider it.

This little beauty is only $5,975 :)

Mike D.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Mike, you beat me to it on pointing out the the Victory price. :) Don't forget that the huge heft of the Victory is more like a Softail than a Sporty.

The 883 Sportster is not a "big cruiser" at all, it's more like a "medium sized standard". It doesn't sit way back like a cruiser, instead it has a nice upright riding position with your feet under you. The peanut tank is classic, but hardly the 40s styling we have gotten so used to from the Harley Softails and many Japanese clones. The wheelbase is relatively short, the rake/trail numbers distinctly unradical, and the suspension somewhat tight.

I have a buddy who has a Sporty (originally an 883, now 1200 but still insured as an 883!) and I've ridden it for a short distance. He's actually toured thousands of miles on it if you can believe that.

They vibrate like an absolute sonofabitch. They handle great for acruiser if you have the standard foot pegs installed. I would suggest that you not forward mount your footpegs. :frowning: Just put some highway pegs on instead.

The Sportster is a beautiful, classic motorcycle, light weight and predictable nimble handling - a great choice for a first bike. I would recommend that you also take a look at what Triumph has to offer in their new Bonneville line. They should be competitive pricewise and are definitely competitive performance wise.

You should be able to find one at or near MSRP if you are willing to call a few dealers. These don't sell like Softails and Electra-Glides.

Expect some eventual large maintenance bills with your cylinder base gasket, this was a major problem with the entire Evolution line, including the Sporty engines.

Don't put loud pipes on. They piss off the non-motorcycling public and don't have any real safety benefit (don't believe the bullshit).

If you're not averse to Japanese bikes, the following would be comparable to the Sporty IMO:

Honda Nighthawk
Kawasaki ZR-7 (note: not the "S" model - may be able to find one NOS - New Old Stock )
Kawasaki W-650 (out of production and relatively rare, but may turn up)
Kawasaki Vulcan 800 (not "Classic or "Drifter" but the original Vulcan 800)
Kawasaki Vulcan 750
Yamaha V-Star 1100
Suzuki Volusia 800

Most small Japanese cruisers try too hard to look like big American cruisers IMO, killing the whole idea of a small, sporty twin like the Sporty. Yamaha used to make a great little Sporty-like bike in the 750/1100 Virago, which has long been discontinued.

If I was buying a bike in that class today I'd probably a Kawasaki 800 Vulcan, it's IMO the only real serious competition for the Sportster from Japan. I've had exceptionally good experience with Kawaski, and my friend has had enough problems with his Harley that I would hesitate to buy one (I wouldn't rule it out entirely - but I can't handle the vibes of the Sportster model family). However, the 800 is trying awfully hard to look like a "mini-Softail" instead of a Sportster, and the feet first riding position is one I do not like.

The 750 Kawasaki Vulcan is a fantastic bike also in this class. Functionally it's the best in class by a long shot. I've test ridden it and it's really exceptional. However, I can't get past the butt ugly looks (you may be able to).

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
There are times I want a bike, but then I remember I live in a retirement community. In my college town riding was like being invisible. Here I'd imagine it'd be like haveing a bounty on your head. Too bad because I really love it.

Shawn C

Screenwriter
Ugh, not the Sportster! Yes, you too can own 1950's technology at 21st century prices!

:rolleyes

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Since college, I've always had my eye on Harley's. This will be my first bike, I want to go cheap, but new.
Heres your first problem.
:D

With any Harley-Davidson model, expect to pay several thousand dollars above MSRP if you buy new.

However, as a former sportster owner I will give you the following tips if you buy one:

1. The motorcycle vibrates enough to mix paint. Expect things to shake loose and fall off. I once had my gear-shift fall off on I-95 and had to stay in fourth gear until I hit the next exit, and then had to push it to a gas-station.

2. More service work than a comparable japanese motorcycle (Such as the aformentioned Kawasaki vulcan 800). and if you need work done in the summer (riding months), expect your bike to be unavailable for weeks. Harley dealers are somewhat notorious for letting their mechanics go during the winter and only hiring new help when they have a back-up of several dozen bikes.

3. The sportster does handle amazingly well, with very neutral steering.

4. Upgrade to a 1200. You may want to wait until you've had a year or three with the 883, but you'll want more power soon enough. I suggest you look into engine kits from such companies as Edelbrock, S&S, and Zipper's before you buy Harley's "Screaming Eagle" line of upgrades...more money than its worth.

5. speaking of upgrades, buy the book: Harley-Davidson Sportster Performance Handbook by Buzz Buzzelli. Well worth its price many times over.

6. It's all been a big lie. Riding a Harley won't get you laid any more than any other bike (Except maybe a Royal Enfield).:D

ScottMP

Auditioning
Mike,

Phil has some very relevant points. I think you will become very tired of the Sportster's lack of power very quickly. Aside from the Harley maintenance issues. A friend of mine has a Yamaha V-Star 1100 Classic (more power, better looks - long cruiser look and Jap reliability)and it is a great bike (I enjoy it and I ride a hopped up RC51 and K1200RS Beemer). The Yamaha is a couple of grand more than the Sportster (I would confirm that you can get the Sportster for that price, Harley dealers are well know price gougers). Also, to be frank, if you are looking to be part of the "Harley Crowd" a sportster ain't the bike. Better choices than the that Harley. I am not anti Harley, I would love a V-rod.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Don't be scared off by people telling you that you can't get a Harley for MSRP. You can. Just shop around a little. Take a look at the "letters" section of the latest "Cycle World" for an interesting take on the whole issue. One of the editors mentioned in the last issue that "The $25,000 Harley" is a myth, and it's true. Particularly for Sportys.

As for the Japanese bikes, it's a shame they haven't picked up on the Sportser market. They seem to see only want to copy/compete with the Big Twins. Yamaha abandoned the Virago line, which was the only Sportster-like bike from Japan. I used to own one, great handling, simple air cooled V-Twin, compact size, not very flashy, upright position, flat bars, and all. It was a great bike. If Kawasaki would only clean up the looks of the exceptional (but also exceptionally ugly) Vulcan 750 they'd have a contender, but alas it isn't happening.

Check out the Kaw W-650 also if you can find one. From what I've read in the magaziens it's a much better '60s Triumph copy than the current Triumphs are. Note - the only thing the "new" Triumph has in common with the "old" Triumph is the name - even the logo is different. The new "Triumph" Bonneville isn't any less a copy of a classic Triumph than the W650.

[url=http://kawasakiw650.co.uk/Gallery%20pics/stuart.jpg] [/url]

(Yes, that's a real kick-starter you see. But the "pushrod tube" is really a Ducati-style bevel drive)

As for Garrett's point 4 - upgrade to a 1200 - when your cylinder base gaskets go bad (and they will. Believe me.) that's a good time to do that upgrade, since you'll have to get an entire top end rebuild anyway.

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
Philip,

The Bonneville's aren't bad looking :emoji_thumbsup: They are a bit more expensive, but they got my attention. I think the Sportster has more flair where the Bonneville (and W650) is more subtle. Here's a picture I found with old and new.

Now I'll look into this W650 you speak of...

Hmmmm, found a comparison of all 3 bikes (W650, 883, & Bonneville) on the site you linked the pic too :)

Mike D.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I was about to post that link. I think that these three bikes fill a unique niche in the market. One small enough that the W650 is no longer sold as a new bike in the US (though it is still produced worldwide). Also, a lot of Sporty owners buy the bike because "it's a Harley" instead of buying it for the kind of bike that it is.

From the review:
Let me make it clear that I very much approve of the overall appearance and style of all three of these motorcycles. I regard them as among the best looking of today's motorcycles. These three bikes represent the aesthetic cream of the contemporary motorcycle crop.
I completely agree. I like this kind of minimalist classic bike a lot, though I own a more utilitarian bike myself (a sport tourer).

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I had a 1971 T-120R. Loved it. Phil's right about the relation of the "new" Triumph to the original. But the new bikes demonstrate that an upstart company is capable of producing genuinely modern motorcycles, which, V-Rod aside, is something that seems to elude the Milwaukee company. (I remember all the rumors in the mid-'70s about an overhead-cam Sportster being in the works, then H-D announced it didn't have the funds to complete the project. Then, in the early '80s, there were rumors of a liquid-cooled V-Four called the "Nova," but it too was scrapped because H-D didn't have enough money. Then, just in time for the 1984 model year, H-D introduced circa-1960 technology with its alloy "Evolution" engine. But, despite it all, H-D is able to trade on its "mystique.")

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks