What's new

Motorboating on my JBL Sub!!! (1 Viewer)

Brian JB

Auditioning
I own a JBL DPS-10 model and I've had trouble with it twice, most of the time when the subs on, it makes noises. I'm not talking about soft, but loud noises from the speaker (like the bass pounding). I had it fixed once and the guy said it was a "motorboating problem". It cost like $100 to fix! And again 5 months later its doing the same thing. Does anyone know if an average person can fix this problem? Or would I have to get it fixed again, or should I just get a new sub?

Thanks

Brian

Rick Guynn

Second Unit
Personally, I would just get a new sub. This sounds like the problem that was the subject of a 'service bulletin' that I saw in a service manual. The bulletin calls for resoldering a ribbon cable due to likely cold solder joints. If that doesn't work, it talks about checkin/replacing a couple of IC's.

I have had recent problems with my own JBL (PSWD-112) amplifier. I haven't fixed it yet, I rigged it to run from an outboard amp until I get time to do more troubleshooting.

Rick

John F. Palacio

Supporting Actor
Hi, Brian.

When the technician described the problem as "motorboating" he was describing the effect not the cause. Motorboating is a term used to describe a sound (like an old put-put marine engine). So he basically did not find the cause or just resoldered some joints and called it fixed. I am bringing this up just to point out that he did not diagnose a specific part or cause to the problem.

Brian JB

Auditioning
Rick and John,

Thanks for replying, here's what my receipt says what the guy did:

Replace open capacitor with double voltage

Replacement-resolder AU double sided connectors and power output IC.

I hope thats right, I couldn't read the writing that well!

Thank You.

Brian (Im new).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks