MotoGP world championship...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Derby, Jul 21, 2002.

1. Chris Derby

Chris Derby Second Unit

Since I started the F1 thread, I figured I might as well start one for my motorcycle brethren.

Any of you guys follow motorcycle racing? I think its pretty obvious that Rossi is going to be world champion... again. I'm somewhat curious about whats going to happen next year though.

Rossi has shown that he's the best rider in the world on 2-strokes and 4-strokes. Doohan has said that he's the best rider in the world once the tires go off. I really hope that he doesn't lose interest in the championship after this year. He's been world champion in all the classes (125, 250, 500, and this year will be GP1 or whatever they're calling it). He's said he loses interest in the class after winning championships. After this year,the only thing he'll have to do is start chasing down Doohan's and Ago's win and championship records.

Ducati is stepping back into the game. With Marlboro sponsership of all things. We haven't seen the Italians in World GP since the Cagiva days. Ducati doesn't half-ass their racing efforts. Looks as if Troy Bayliss (current World Superbike champ) is going to be their number 1 rider.

With Honda leasing out their new V5 engines to other teams, it may end up being a Honda v. Ducati show. Rumor is that BMW is thinking of getting in the game, too. It'll be nice to have some new manufacturers in the series.

With the 4-stroke F1 technology making it into motorcycle racing it should really be interesting when it filters down to streetbikes.

Now hopefully SpeedTV won't remove all their motorcycle programming in favor of "left turns only."

2. Chris Derby

Chris Derby Second Unit

OK, I can't be the only person on the HTF that watches motorcycle roadracing...

3. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I do, but I don't really watch motogp, I prefer AMA superbike. Though Aprilia has been in a slump in both [​IMG]
    it's so hard to find racing on TV I only get to enjoy a race once every few weeks.

4. CarlS

CarlS Stunt Coordinator

I usually watch the AMA superbikes and the World Superbike series. I have caught a few of the MotoGP races this year, but like Chris said originally, Rossi is dominating and that usually leads to some pretty boring races since you pretty much know how it is going to end. Just like F1.

This is not Rossi's fault of course. Other teams have to step up and field a competitive bike and offer some resistance.

5. Chris Derby

Chris Derby Second Unit

Check out the 250cc World GP class. Melandri is currently leading in points on his Aprilia. The championship is still close and the races have been really exciting.

World Supersport is great to watch, too. Those guys are hardcore. The lead group is always tight and the race is usually won on the last lap.

6. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

yeah but my man Haga hasn't been anywhere to be seen [​IMG]
    last 2 times he was about to take the lead he crashed, once taking edwards, and another collision with hayden

7. Chris Derby

Chris Derby Second Unit

I couldn't believe the crash w/ Nicky. That was so unfortunate for both of them. Haga nearly took Edwards out with the other one. If you watch the footage, you can see that Colin turns around to see what hit him.

I'm really disappointed that Aprilia and Corser couldn't work things out. Corser is a proven winner and championship contender on twins.

I don't think the twin really suits Haga's riding style. I've always liked watching him slide all over the place. I don't think the Aprilia likes that too much. Good that he's back on Dunlops, though. I think Haga would have done better in WorldGP had the team switched tires one season earlier. His departure did make room for American John Hopkins, though.

John is having an impressive first season in GP. Until he broke his wrist in qualifying for the last race (Germany), him and Rossi were the only two riders to finish and score points at every race. Also, Red Bull Yamaha is going to be Red Bull Moriwaki Honda next year and lil' John is getting a Honda V5! Go USA!

8. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I don't get it, the V twin is MUCH more forgiving than an inline, I've lugged my aprilia out of corners on the track next to inlines where I should have been at least one gear down and kept up just fine, an inline wouldn't forgive that

9. Chris Derby

Chris Derby Second Unit

Yeah.. but Haga's style on the R7 was the slide the thing through the corners sideways while he's hard on the throttle. He's really haevy on the front wheel and likes to be able to take multiple lines though turns. Inside... outside... under... through... His setup usually leaves him with lots of options while he's in the race.

I do see him adapting the Mille to his style or at least adapting his style to the Mille. At Laguna he could pretty much put his bike anywhere he wanted.

Now here is a wierd thing: Ducati's have traditionally been very precise handling bikes that like the wheels inline and don't necessarily like to be slid around the track. Everybody used to say that Doug Chandler (Dr. Smooth) would be dangerous on a Duc because he has a very efficient inline, smooth style. The HMC Ducati team signs Chandler and what does he do? He starts sliding the thing around and gains time on the track. Sometimes things don't make sense, they just are.

10. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

shouldn't really matter, you can back it in just the same on any bike to tighten the line if you need to, I would just think the additional torque of a twin would make it easier to snap that back tire loose.